Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn
Default Please help me! (With this computer stuff! this is the "teen build guide" dude!)

SORRY I ACCIDENTALLY POSTED IT TWICE!

Okay, so I got this monitor and "pizza-box" computer for free just about an hour ago from this really nice stranger. (I met him on FreeCycle) He forgot to give me the power cord for the two, but I need your opinion: does this look good?

Will it work with an ATX motherboard? (pizza-box?)
If you need any more information, please let me know! Any response would be awesome!
And, I'm having problems trying to figure out how to open it up. It has a Windows 98 sticker on the system... yikes! It's old, so I know the parts aren't use-able if I want a fast computer. I'm still going to use my new parts.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - $62
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD - $100
RAM:
Corsair Value Select PC10600 RAM - 2GB, DDR3, 1333MHz - $50
PSU: Thermaltake PurePower 430-Watt - $30 (after rebates)
HDD: 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - $55
Case: FREE!
Disk Drive: LG GH22NP20 DVDRW Drive - $30
Case Cooling: Masscool 120mm Fan X2 - $6

TOTAL: $328 (including rebates!)

EXTRAS (that I need):
Wireless Card: Sabrent PCI-G802 PCI Wireless Card - $15
Keyboard and Mouse: FREE standard keyboard & mouse
Monitor:
FREE 15" CRT monitor
Speakers: FREE Speakers

TOTAL: $15

COMPLETE TOTAL: $343(including rebates!)

Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46
Default Re: Please help me! (With this computer stuff! this is the "teen build guide" dude!)

cant fit an atx mobo in there

VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
In Runtime

Default Re: Please help me! (With this computer stuff! this is the "teen build guide" dude!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN46 View Post
cant fit an atx mobo in there
CRAP!!

Should I get a microATX motherboard, or just wait until another dude offers a free case?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

yeah you'll need an atx case for that motherboard.
XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

i still woundlt put it in there even with a mirco atx id rather put the hardware into a box and use that as my case
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63083 View Post
yeah you'll need an atx case for that motherboard.
Man, that really sucks. I was really counting on that. Maybe I'll post another ad.

Quote:
i still woundlt put it in there even with a mirco atx id rather put the hardware into a box and use that as my case
Seriously? I should do that? Isn't that a bit loco? <<haha. I don't know, maybe I should just ask again on there and see if anybody has anything.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

you could just build it caseless and cut some holes in a big boxzip tie some fans on there and you got a cardborad case and put it over all the hardware
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
you could just build it caseless and cut some holes in a big boxzip tie some fans on there and you got a cardborad case and put it over all the hardware
^
This. Crude, but effective if on a serious budget.
XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
In Runtime

Quote:
Hahahaha. We'll see. Maybe it won't get to that point. I mean, it would work. I've seen someone literally build one out of a Little Ceaser's pizza box! I will have to look into the options. I asked again if anybody had one they'd be willing to "FreeCycle" to a "young teen" lol

OH! What about this? Somebody told me Dell Cases only work with Dell MOBOs...

Dell Dimension 4500
Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Tough luck man...that's a non-standard case you've got there. What's the specs on that? Pentium 1-2 I bet. Nice monitor though...gateway EV series, right? Those are good.

I'm having a hard time finding a pic of the guts of the 4500, but I believe at that point in time they were using mostly mATX mobos. That may or may not be a BTX case. It could even be that funky clamshell design like they used on the optiplex line. (though the larger ones were still mATX)

The other problem with Dells (and several others) is that they use a proprietary connector for the switches and lights. (power button, HDD light, etc) However, with a bit of work you can make that connector work. I've done it.

It's not really a big deal to run caseless though...just make sure the mobo is sitting on something that isn't conductive. Anything paper, cardboard, or wood will work admirably.

edit: Going by the pics that show the 4500 next to monitors, I'm guessing it's going to be mATX at most.

edit again: This video doesn't show the case, but it shows the mobo from a 4500. mATX it is.