Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Please Help Idiot With Computer Problem

hi. i have had a string of problems with my computer. at first i was able to figure it out, but i have been so frustrated and disheartened that i can't seem to figure anything out anymore.

i had a dell dimension 4500 from 2002 which was running wold of warcraft for me. my girlfriend was going to play, so i bought a new $1000 computer for myself and let her use that one.

before shipping it out to her house 7 months ago, i reinstalled windows xp and got it running with warcraft again. i tested it for a couple weeks and it worked fine. it went to her house and her roomate installed a wireless network card, which i think overworked the power supply.

i got a new power supply in it, but now it refuses to update windows, update virus protection, and it freezes up whenever i get past the loading screen in warcraft.

it has been working fine on the internet, but AVG says
Quote:
General error - not enough free memory, write error.
windows update says
Quote:
The following updates were not installed: Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
also when it goes to do a patch for world of warcraft it tells me my network card is outdated, but i am also unaware of how to fix that.

there are a few things i've tried to do to fix it, including the things in this thread
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=75830
so far no luck.

i will be happy to provide any information that you guys would need to help figure this out.
the dimension 4500 is set up on the desk next to this one

the computer has one 1gig stick of ram in it.
windows was reinstalled 7 months ago, but it has not been used much so there is not much cluttering it up.

Relmiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Please Help Idiot With Computer Problem

I think the quickest and easiest way to fix this would be a reformat. You could spend hours troubleshooting and find nothing. It will only take around an hour to reinstall Windows.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to LukaszR

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
I think the quickest and easiest way to fix this would be a reformat. You could spend hours troubleshooting and find nothing. It will only take around an hour to reinstall Windows.
Good Call! +1

www.Cyber-Talk.ca League of Legends and Gaming Community
LukaszR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
wouldn't i then have to reinstall drivers, set up the spyware and virus protection, and heaven forbid have to go and download and install all the warcraft patches again?

i suppose i can try that, ya'll think it would be a lot more work to try and identify than to do that?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

yeah, it seems like its better.
If you cant fix it or that nobody knows how to diagnose it, then its best to reformat.
Have you tried without the Wireless card?
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
yeah, it seems like its better.
If you cant fix it or that nobody knows how to diagnose it, then its best to reformat.
Have you tried without the Wireless card?
yeah, i took the wireless card out a while ago, after i installed the new power supply and was trying to get this memory problem fixed. it didn't make a difference, though
Old 10-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
In Runtime

It really doesn't take that long to get the drivers. I just redid a laptop and it took less than 1 hour to reinstall vista. I then just had to put in the networking drivers. After that windows update got all my drivers for everything else automatically. I think the longest part will be the WOW patches lol.

[Case = Corsair 400R][CPU = Core i5 3.4Ghz to 4.6Ghz /w Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler][Mobo = Asus P8Z77-V LK][RAM = 16GB DDR3 Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz RAM][Video Card = PNY GTX 670][SSD = 240GB Force GT][Samsung S27B350 27inch monitor][Running Windows 7 64Bit]
OTSS is offline   Reply With Quote