Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Please Help!!!!

Can anyone help with an extremely important matter - it is really life and death!

I need to retrieve the last 6 months deleted emails from my lycos.co.uk account (they have been deleted from trash too). If I do not within the next 24 hours I will not have evidence and I will lose my job.

I cannot even seem to find a lycos email address to find out whether they have copies on their servers. Does any have any ideas as to what I can do please???????????

karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Please Help!!!!

Oh

The only thing I can think of is to find a number? Do they have a number to ring for emergencies?

I'm not too sure, but your ISP (Internet Service Provider) might have a copy of it too, sicne it'd go through there usually before getting to you.

I hope you get them back. Because you've deleted from trash though within the e-mail server...I'm not too sure how you could retrieve it. I doubt they would have saved on your PC

Old 06-01-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Beta Member

Thanks Kage but no there isn't an emergency number from Lycos. It is also a nightmare as I am in London and I assume that any contacts are somewhere in Europe and London. I have tried contacting my ISP but they are not being co-operative in that they say it's not their responsibility :-((((((
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
Golden Master

oh I'm sorry to hear that.

I just thought though. Since your not running from Microsoft Outlook Express or something to get your e-mail and are just using an online web server, your ISP probably wouldn't have it anyway.

The only people I can assume would have it would be them, on there main servers, even if you did put it on trash. I'd assume they'd have a tempory delete on there main servers, rather than just your inbox.

Though you need to recover 6 months?! I don't know if they'd have stored that much...
One thing you could have tried since it was webbased was to keep pressing back to see if it would bring back the messages, like to take back what you did...though you've probably closed it off by now

I'm sorry I can't help any more than I am

I got this from the site...and it doesn't seem good

"Note: It is important to know that when you delete your mail from your Inbox Folder, you are actually moving it to your Trash Folder. You can still view the messages in your Trash Folder until it is deleted. Once the emails are deleted from your Trash Folder, it is permanently deleted and you will not be able to retrieve it."

What exactly do the documents contain you need to retrieve? Is there another way you could proove it? Maybe asking the person who sent the e-mail to try and recover them from there sent messages and send them back to you...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Beta Member

Thanks anyway Kage. I need a pal! :-(
Old 06-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
Golden Master

You sure you'll lose your job though? Is there another way you could proove somehing to save yourself?

It might be best you know to switch your e-mail to use Microsoft Outlook Express, or another form of mail program on your PC, which might save you from some of these issues. Even if it means creating an account somewhere else, like with your main Internet Service Provider's account. This would make it easier to retrieve for example since they'd probably have it stored on there servers as well as on yours.

How did you delete 6 months worth of e-mails anyway? ...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Starr Send a message via MSN to Starr

Hmmmm, well, that sucks.

Anyway if the emails were on your computer you can try to use software that can retrieve them. i don't know any good free ones.

Windows Vista Business Edition

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't."
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

If you downloaded the emails to a email program like outlook then there may be remnants of the messages on the harddrive that could be recovered with the use of a file recovery program.
This is all dependant on how clean you kept your computer and to formatting, defragging, registry cleaning and the likes. And of course 6 months is an extremely long time for file recovery from a working computer.
Also, that HDD would have to be removed and sent off without any guarantee as to the recovery and if it is a business (at work) then getting permission from boss is another issue.
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
Beta Member

Yes Kage I will lose my job. All the evidence is in those emails.

I didn't delete them all at once. I just deleted them on a regular basis - not considering that they would be important. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

all your emails are gone mate. You might be able to be saved if you download your emails to Outlook but if its web based ... there gone