Please Help

NASCARJarrett88

Solid State Member
I have a very important question, and I was hoping y'all here could help. This is a very nice site and I just registered. I am a sim racer, and I use NASCAR Racing 2003 Season from Papyrus and Sierra. The computer I race on was not built for gaming, but the office. I think it was built in 2000-2001. It is a Sony VAIO. Now, I don't know much about computers. I am 14, and we've been saving up all year for a computer and wheel for Christmas or Hanukah (lol, we're sort of both). The budget we have set is $1,000. However, my Logitech MOMO Racing I use is not working properly and I am always having to work on it. The new wheel I am looking at is the TSW2 Cup, which is over $500 with shipping included. I have heard that decent gaming systems can be purchased for less than $500. I upgraded my VAIO a couple of months ago with a nVidia 5200FX 128MB. I did it myself so I learned some about computers. I am also currently taking a Computer Tech class in High School to learn more. I have checked all over for computer systems, and the best site I could find is www.buyxg.com. It seems to have prices lower than some stuff on newegg, which I think the stuff there you have to put together yourself. I am just looking for a gaming system that will get me by at about 50-70 fps on high graphics on NR2003 (NASCAR Racing 2003 Season) without annoying freeze-ups and lagging. I would say the budget for one is $500, because the TSW2 Cup is so much. ANY help would be VERY MUCH appreciated, because we have no high-speed internet in our area yet, and I would need a new and well-performing computer to get back online racing before it gets installed. I will probably post again, but THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH in advance, because it is very important to me that I get a good system while, at the same time, we are able to afford a TSW2.

one question, do you need high speed to play that game? i thought so what ever, the thing is you want a gaming computer, what shal we suggest....? hmm... AMD 64 3200+???? with about a gig of ram? so im thinking this from the site you gave me

http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?id=393&catID=74 which gives you a really good motherboard with a really good CPU!! now all you need is the RAM, i think you can just take out the harddrives and the cd drives outa your old computer, that wud be cheaper. i think thats all you need oh yeah the pc3200 ram not pc2700 or what ever

Wow--thanks for such quick responses, guys.

@BanChan-Thanks for taking a look at the site. Honestly, my biggest problem with looking for a gaming PC is understanding what the motherboard is. That, and the processor (the AMD XP-I think 32 bit-or, the 64??). I think an XP 2800 or 2500 would get me by fine, because NR2003 is not really as graphic-intensive as most new games out there. I have seen usually sim racers go for an XP 2700, 256-512 MB RAM, 9200 SE or FX 5200 and stuff like that. Their wheels usually go over $700. On my VAIO, I have only 128 MB RAM and, I don't know if how I'm gonna say this is correct, but 833 Mhz Pentium lll. The OS is Windows Me. Also, I think you mean high-speed internet? Sorry if I am wrong, but yes, you need it to race online. Qwest is going to offer high-speed DSL 1.5 meg upload/download.

If I go for the XG2000 with a 2600 instead of 2500, and 512 MB RAM (stretching the budget--I'll try to work on my Dad for that lol), would that be good enough? Also, would I need Windows XP Pro instead of Home? I am running 20-40 fps with freeze-ups and lagging racing offline on my VAIO. Before I installed the nVidia card, I was running 4 fps with lagging every second on all low graphics. Now I am on medium. I hope that gives y'all and idea on what I need to race/play NR2003. Please, anymore help is greatly needed here. Thanks a lot for the responses so far.

2800? eh... well i guess u can use that, if the game isn't THAT intense, so the main thing on motherboard is compatablity like socket so it can put the cpu in and then theres the chipset, and for good biod and good overcloking which i think ur not gonna do, so all you need to pay attention about on am otherboard is how much RAM you can put on it and if it supports 400 ddr RAM (pc3200) and if the socket matches the cpu socket

Ok

Alright, thanks a lot for the help, BanChan.

Does anyone else know of the sim and could you please tell me if you know of any computers built JUST FOR the sim? I have heard of "Race Ready" systems starting at $500, but I can't find them online.

Again, thanks BanChan :)

BanChan said:
one question, do you need high speed to play that game? i thought so what ever, the thing is you want a gaming computer, what shal we suggest....? hmm... AMD 64 3200+???? with about a gig of ram? so im thinking this from the site you gave me

http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?id=393&catID=74 which gives you a really good motherboard with a really good CPU!! now all you need is the RAM, i think you can just take out the harddrives and the cd drives outa your old computer, that wud be cheaper. i think thats all you need oh yeah the pc3200 ram not pc2700 or what ever

Wait so that buy right there includes motherboard and a CPU?. as in.. i could buy that, a 160 gig HD i got at best buy for 30$ after rebates (Hehe i know i'm good like that), and...? and i've got a running system?

Back
Top Bottom