Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
In Runtime
Default Please having diffaculty installing bare HDD inside a external enclosure

having diffaculty installing bare HDD inside a external enclosure

I've gotten to step 3 when I click unallocated region the new volume is'nt highlighted so I can't use the wizard.

Thanks for any help STB

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
  3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
  4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
  5. Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.
  6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.
<LI class=step>
  1. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
  2. If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.
  • To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.
  1. Review your choices, and then click Finish.
edit I've also tryed this
right click my computer
disk managemnet

I get a message
you must initialize a disk before logical disk manager can access it

there are 2 choices MBR master boot record
and GPT guid partition table

I tryed both and get this message
the media is write protected

edit again in disk management there's a black horizontal bar in the unallocated area there are diaangle lines and the drives size of 1862.36 is being displayed.

I'm thinking this HDD may need to be formatted because in disk management the file sys. is RAW not NFTS like my other HDDs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newhdd.jpg (108.0 KB, 6 views)

MoboIntel H57 CPU I3 550 3.2GHzRAM 6GB DDR3 1TB,2TB HDD,1TB ext HDD, PSU 300W1 PCI TV Tuner, 1 USB TVTuner,wireless USB adapter,Win7/64
stevethebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
The Candy Man
Default Re: Please having diffaculty installing bare HDD inside a external enclosure

This may seem like a stupid question, but is it possible to plug it into a friends computer and format it using NTFS file system?

I was just making a suggestion because you were having probs. formatting it on your computer.

" Let the music move you "
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Please having diffaculty installing bare HDD inside a external enclosure

It needs to be initialized first before it can have a volume created. Think of it as a step 2.5. Right click in the box where it says "Disk 5" and all that jazz and there should be an initialize option. After that the new simple volume will be open to you.
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote