Playing VLC causes computer restart

bnabha

Solid State Member
Hi
I downloaded very recent version of VlC. But when i tried to run video media files through VLC, it caused the computer restart automatically and it happened every time when i tried to do it. I could not figured out what is the problem with that. Can anybody help me out in this regards. I would appreciate your feedbacks.
Thanks

You know somebody today told me he had downloaded VLC on the weekend and he had that problem too.
I am taking a guess here, but if you installed Windows Media Player 10 remove it. To do so you have to go to Add/Remove and check the little box on top of the screen, show all updates, and then remove WMP10.
VLC is an excellent program to watch basically any video format, but with the new WMP, if the file has been set to be played by WMP, then it won't less another program play it.
Another thing you could do if right clic on the file you want to play and clic Choose Program. You will not see VLC available, but choose one that will remove the file associated with WMP. I associated my media files with my ATI AIW file player, and I never had any problems with VLC.

I tried it. I removed WMP 10 but it got back me WMP 9 which I could not able to remove. After removing WMP 10, I tried to run VLC. But it did not help.......

There may be a setting that is causing the problem. Does your WMP setting have download codecs when required? Microsoft sometimes uploads you codecs, which makes it basically blocks other programs.
Go to your Windows Media Player settings and uncheck, automatically dl codecs, and also go to file types and uncheck the file types WMP is associated with.
If the file you want to view has the WMP icon beside it, right clic on the file,and find another program that that play the file; quicktime for instance. If the logo beside the file changed to a quicktime logo, try opening the file again with VLC. If it doesn't work, make sure the settings you are using are OK, and also, make sure you downloaded the right VLC for your operating system. If you are not sure, uninstall VLC and go back to there website and carefully read to make sure you download the right version for you.
If it doesn't work, when I will be on my PC, I will check the version and settings and get back to you. maybe in ~ 15 hours unless I see you have resolved your problem.

Hi Dear.
It does not work. I did everything which u suggested. I downloaded VLC from the download.com and i have window XP on my computer. Also i m not big computer guy. I know abt computer which i have to just know.
Hopefully now u will find another solid solution.
Thanks

Ummm, WOW........ Ok..... Zero4Zero, GL.... Sry I can't help, I would have suggested what Zero did. Sry bnabha! :(

Back
Top Bottom