Playing Videos From A Network Computer - No Lagging!?

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone!

I've got a bunch of DVDs (my own DVDs) that I have ripped to my computer (on a wireless network) in AVI format. I have another computer in a different room (also hooked up on the same wireless network) with a TV hooked up to it. I have it all figured out so the TV plays videos in full screen on the TV

I would like to be able to play the DVDs I have ripped on my own computer though! So I have shared the folder with my DVDs, I access them on the other computer. I open them up, and they do open but they lag a LOT!

The bigger the video, the more lag (both video and audio). So I was wondering, is there any video player out there that will wait until the video is done loading before it plays it? Or like stream it from the network before playing? A progress bar would be nice.

Ive tried Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic, both have lags.

Thanks!

you could try copying them to a folder onto the comp with the tv, unless you dont have alot of space on the HD

You should try VLC as it's made for alot of network video, and I always use VLC to stream video across my network as well.

With VLC i have no problem streaming video from a network server on the other side of the city, or even fileservers under 100% load.

Tried VLC - and as far as I understand, it only streams videos from one computer to another (IE you have to have it running on the host PC to stream on the other PC).

As for copying the files over, it takes like 60 mins to copy a movie, so that really wont work... any other ideas?

Thanks guys

your network is too slow, for a good connection for video streaming you need 100mbps, not 10mbps

so the problem is with the router, and the connection between the computers, if they are only 10mbps thats way to slow for video,

My suggeston would be to copy the video to your PC.

What Bullzi said is probbly true. Slow networks often does that.

Ok well the thing is, I can press pause in the movie if its being really slow, and then wait for 5 mins and press play, and the rest of the movie runs fine. I was just wondering if there was a player that could determine when to autostart the movie so it wouldnt run into any trouble. Because like i said copying a 700MB movie file is taking 60 mins, which is qutite a while to wait for a movie

yea there really isnt a way to do that, at least that i know of, what you are talking about is the buffering that takes place when playing a video file, and this is the example of a slow network, if there is an autoplay mediaplayer, im not aware of it...

bullzi said:
your network is too slow, for a good connection for video streaming you need 100mbps, not 10mbps

so the problem is with the router, and the connection between the computers, if they are only 10mbps thats way to slow for video,

I always stream video's across a 10 meg connection at full quality and never a problem :)

oh, well i just know that on my network i had 10 wired, and it would be laggy, and then upgraded to 100 and it works awesome now, but i wonder what kbps hes running?? maybe if he didnt rip the dvd's at such a high quality that would help

Back
Top Bottom