Planning on upgrading ram. Please help me choose

Head On

Solid State Member
Hey guys, none of you probably remember me but I remember you guys being very helpful answering my questions when I was building my new computer. Anyways I've been looking to upgrade my memory since I got the computer (1 gig ain't enough for me). With all the differences in brands, voltages, speeds, etc I'm worried I will buy some ram that will be a poor choice or at the very worst not even be compatible with my current memory.
I currently have this ram. Cosair XMS2, DDR2 800, 1.9Voltage, timing 5-5-5-15. (I'm not sure what the last two mean).
Anyways, on newegg I saw two different packages of ram, both Cosair XMS2, DDR2 800. One is a fairly cheaper than the other but after rebates they come out to be almost the same. I noticed their voltages and timings are different, but I have no idea how that would affect my computer. I'd prefer to stay with the same brand (Cosair XMS2) because the current ram I have seems reliable and getting ram from a different brand would probably complicate things more. That doesn't mean that I will refuse to look at any other types of ram, so feel free to give me suggestions. I'm not looking to OC my ram btw.
RAM One
RAM Two
:)

Why do you want to upgrade? What do you use the computer for? Do you game?

The 2nd one is "SLI certified" so they can charge some more for it. If you're not going to OC and you just want more RAM, I'd go with the first one. Be sure to read the RAM stickies...they're helpful.

I have never used cosiar ram so cant say to much about it i prefer crucial so have a look at theres and compare www.crucial.com/, run the upgrade scan and see what they have to offer, if your still unsure then just get the corsiar ram. I dot actually buy it from them I use there scan then look up there brand on ebuyer and get it cheaper.

Corsair is great stuff, try and get one identical to what your currently using.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm upgrading it for gaming purposes. I'll take a look the crutial website right now.

Back
Top Bottom