Planning to get a Laptop for School, but not very Techno Savy =(

RayFung

Beta member
Hi everyone, I'm planning to get a laptop for school use and sometimes for a little gaming, but not that much since I have a desktop. The types of games I play are sorta 3D, but they're mostly online games, not anything fancy smancy. However, I dunno if the integrated graphics thingy will be very good at playing these games. I know it's not as good as a NVidia, but htey're integrated so what can I do. Anyways, I know very little about computers and the parts and etc. I just know pricing XD. I've found several computers I think that are pretty good... but I dunno which one to consider. It would help me greatly if anyone can give me some advice, so thanks in advance! Here are the tech specs for a dell model, the inpsiron 1525, since I can't give direct links to the parts I'm getting. They're all 15.4" laptops if that accounts for anything.

Base Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5450 (1.66GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) English
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
System Color Midnight Blue
Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
LCD Panel Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
Video Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Hard Drive 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Network Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Modem Integrated Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
Combo or DVD+RW Drive CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0
Wireless Networking Cards Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card
Camera Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) PC-Cillin Internet Security 30-day trial
Batteries 56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
Hardware Services 1 Year Return to Depot Service and Technical Support
Online Data Storage DataSafe Online Backup 3GB (included with price)
ISP Please contact me with more details
Bluetooth Option Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) - Dunno if I'm gonna actually get this.
Total = $939.00 with the Bluetooth, $919.00 without the bluetooth. I only have a cell that uses bluetooth and not very many other things, so I most likely won't get it, but yeah, don't mind the bluetooth. Please lookat the processor, memory, hard drive, weight, SEXYNESS, etc.

Here are the other three laptops I'm looking at. They're direct links to the futureshop website.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10097944&catid=25315
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10095609&catid=
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10097940&catid=

P.S. I capitalized "sexyness" cuz some of them like the sony one look, in my opinion, very bland and ugly, but the tech specs seem very good for its price. Actually, all of them look a little bland since they're only black and white except the dell. However, their prices are what makes them even noticeable to me. I would really like the dell one cuz it looks the best and it's tech specs are good, but with the sales futureshop is having with these comps, it's price is not as competitable anymore, but still within range. Also, please don't complain about any past experiences you've have with these companies such as customer service, or anything else that doesn't relate to the effectiveness and efficiency of the comp.

like u said, u cant really use it for ne thing to fancy, specially with that integrated GPU and that CPU...
but if ur gona use it for just casual stuff and low end games and online flash games, u shuldent have a problem.

but like i always say, in the computer world, u get what u pay for, and if u want to do more advanced stuff, invest in a little better one,

but i dont c ne problems with that setup 4 u

Oh yea, btw, I fixed the futureshop links... they weren't working cuz the url got chopped off.

Personally, I wouldn't get the Toshiba because I don't trust the company as much as Sony and HP. Sony and HP both make good laptops, but from experience I have come to find out that even $1100 HP laptops crap out in one way or another within a year or so. My roommate's HP's keyboard broke twice and my girlfriend's hard drive kept malfunctioning; but her's is better than my roommates. I do not have any experience with Sony laptops, but what I've read about them they seem reliable. My laptop is a Dell Inspirion 9300, but it cost me $2 grand two years ago so it's a bit out of date. I would just get another Dell, but since you are not selecting a Dell I would say go with the Sony. The Sony laptop has a bigger, yet slower HD, but that is ok if you're just going to be listening to music or doing homework. The Sony has a better CPU and 358mb video ram (the HP says "up to 358mb") . The Sony also has a 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi adapter while the HP only has a 802.11b/g. The Sony's FSB speed is faster and the CPU cache is 4mb compared to HP's 2mb. The Sony laptop is also slightly lighter than the HP one. Either way though you won't be able to play very many games. I hope that helps you!

Back
Top Bottom