placement of x-fi titanium fatal1ty sound card on asus rampage II extreme

Redonmyhead

Baseband Member
This is my first build, spare my noobness. This motherboard came with the crappy supreme x-fi sound card. Instead of using this sound card on my motherboard, I ordered the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional sound card. I haven't recieved it yet. I've heard that it doesn't fit at the PCIEx1_1 on this motherboard. I'm only using the 1st PCIE x16_1 slot for my evga gtx 295 gpu (no SLI.) Where should I place the x-fi titanium fatality sound card since it doesn't fit at the PCIE x1_1 slot? in the PCIE x1_2 slot?

This motherboard recommends the 1st PCIE x1_1 for sound cards but can I ignore this slot and place it at the PCIEx1_2 slot? Or should I place it on the PCIE x16_2 or _3 slot? Do I have to do any configuration in bios to allow this? I've tried googling and nothing. If I did SLI with two GPUs, then I could place it in slot 3 on the PCIEx16_3 and change the settings in bios for the third slot to x1, but I'm not going to use SLI.

Any suggestions? Greatly appreciate it. So far, it's been fun building. Just want to make sure it's bullet proof before I hit the power button.

Red

If you are unable to use the first PCIe x1 slot, then your sound card should be fine in the PCIe x1_2 slot. I don't see a reason to use one of your x16 slots for the sound card, unless you are running in SLI and are unable to use a x1 slot.

thanks atomic. Going to recieve my parts tomorrow. can't wait.

is it true if the sound card is too close to the gpu, it may cause interference or static noises in the sound?

I never noticed any interference. The only thing I would worry about is airflow around the GPU with another card mounted right next to it.

We have one rig here that has a Creative Audigy 2 Platinum sitting next to an 8800GT with no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom