Piriform Defraggler

John Bull

In Runtime
I have used this excellent product for a long time now. It is very quick and defrags in seconds, never gives any trouble and I find it invaluable.

Updates are notified to me and I have done this many times with no problems.

NOW, I am told update v1.10.143 is available. Over the past few days I have followed normal procedure to download this version by the usual sites and tried just about every other trusted site I know, but each time the download fails.

Sequence is ;-
Go to site and find the Defraggler v1.10 download, click.
Panel comes up - click RUN.
The download starts and then stops at 99% with 1 second to go.
And there it stays.

I get "not responding", stuck on the hour glass.
Task Manager will not come up. CNTL+ALT+DEL is dead.
NOTHING responds anywhere - the whole computer freezes.

I have no choice but to crash the computer on the power button and re-boot.
This I have done a dozen times or more and will not do it again for Defraggler until I know that the fault has been cured.

Every other product I have download their updates perfectly as do new products.

PLEASE, has anybody any news on this matter or alternatively know what is going wrong and how it can be cured ?

Many thanks
KAS

Don't click RUN, click Save. :D
OK AT, I did it and this is what happened.
For updates I have always clicked RUN with no problems.

I clicked SAVE and got nothing but trouble. It was an improvement, It clogged up at 99% and 44 seconds instead of 99% and 1 second, but the same thing happened - TOTAL PARALYSIS. Yet again another crash out.

All my other programs update with no problems, even Windows updates and Microsoft has updated my system from IE7 to IE8 - a very long update - with no problems.
I have looked on the Piriform Forum and got nothing. I have sent an online comment to them with no reply yet. The primary site is FileHippo, but there are many more which fail just the same.

As far as I am concerned, their program update is corrupted.
Is there any chance that somebody could corroborate this by downloading Defraggler 1.10.143. If it goes OK then my system is at fault, if it fails, then Piriform are at fault.
KAS

I just downloaded the 809 KB install file from their site. It took all of ten seconds or so. It took just as long to install.

Defraggler Download

I chose the Alternative Download.

I really am very grateful to you for trying this update and obviously it worked OK. But, I did exactly the same as you and my system froze up - completely paralyzed, I had to crash it again and re-boot.

What do you think is happening ? Are my security systems blocking the Defraggler sites ? If so, why do all the other update sites go through without problems ?
I am really puzzled. I would love your verdict on what is happening. All my previous Defraggler updates have gone through like a dose of salts, so why should any blockage occur now, I have done nothing new ?

KAS

great program but when I defragged my whole PC and it started going through my Steam games it never ever stopped defragging....it got stuck on my Garry's Mod files

kas,
if you are still unable to fix it, i'm going to recommend that you try out auslogics disk defrag. i used to use defraggler for a long time, till about two weeks ago where somewhere on this forum i read about auslogics - i downloaded it, and i love it.
if piniform does not seem to work for you, do not sweat it - try switching to another program.
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download

That's really odd that this is the only download you're having issues with. You might want to turn off any anti-virus programs and firewalls just to see if you can get it downloaded.

try smart defrag it defrags your entire system in about 10-15 minutes for me (120gb 5400rpm drive)

its also free

Back
Top Bottom