Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #21
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Physx Card???

Maybe, but the physics processor isn't really doing much at the moment.

I seriously hope for one, that they won't advance like graphics.

Bringing out firmware is fine, but one thing I don't want, is for you to have to buy a new physics processor when new games come out, etc.
__________________

__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #22
Daemon Poster
 
allenn812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 935
Default Re: Physx Card???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage
Maybe, but the physics processor isn't really doing much at the moment.

I seriously hope for one, that they won't advance like graphics.

Bringing out firmware is fine, but one thing I don't want, is for you to have to buy a new physics processor when new games come out, etc.
Heres directly from thr AGEIA site.

Do I have to buy new hardware every year just to get new physics features?

No. The powerful, yet flexible, AGEIA PhysX processor is designed to enable future enhancements via software. This makes a PhysX accelerator a great investment because gamers will get not only new PhysX-enabled games now and in the future, but the new features that AGEIA delivers via regular driver updates will run on the hardware thatís installed in PCs today.
__________________

__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Oc'd to 2.9ghz
ECS 570 SLIT Motherboard
2 gig of Corsair ddr2 677
Western Digital 250 Gig HD
Evga 8800GTS 640mb Oc'd to 615/1000
allenn812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #23
Fully Optimized
 
–88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,775
Send a message via MSN to –88
Default Re: Physx Card???

I highly recommend that no one buys these cards when they are initially released. I can guarantee that they will be buggy and newer and better versions will be released shortly after. Besides, the game selection that will be using it will be small for a long time. I think when Half-Life 3 is released that will be an era when these phys-x cards will be fully incorporated into gaming. That's probably when i will buy one anyway...
__________________
Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine LŲsung!
–88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #24
Daemon Poster
 
allenn812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 935
Default Re: Physx Card???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion88
I highly recommend that no one buys these cards when they are initially released. I can guarantee that they will be buggy and newer and better versions will be released shortly after. Besides, the game selection that will be using it will be small for a long time. I think when Half-Life 3 is released that will be an era when these phys-x cards will be fully incorporated into gaming. That's probably when i will buy one anyway...

I totally agree, know one even nows if these card will take off. Im going to wait at least a couple of months to see how many games start using it, and wait for the price to drop.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Oc'd to 2.9ghz
ECS 570 SLIT Motherboard
2 gig of Corsair ddr2 677
Western Digital 250 Gig HD
Evga 8800GTS 640mb Oc'd to 615/1000
allenn812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #25
Fully Optimized
 
–88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,775
Send a message via MSN to –88
Default Re: Physx Card???

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenn812
I totally agree, know one even nows if these card will take off. Im going to wait at least a couple of months to see how many games start using it, and wait for the price to drop.
yeah true, maybe these cards will be a complete failure and stop being used entirely. lol that would suck for people who bought one!
__________________
Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine LŲsung!
–88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #26
Daemon Poster
 
PerfectSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 982
Default Re: Physx Card???

I dont really see why there is such a big hype about it. It justs like when people use cheats on their games to get unlimited lives and stuff like that. Why do you buy a game to just cheat the way through? Stick with a good video card, and leave Physx on the shelf.
__________________
Rig -- Emachines T5026, 3.06ghz P4, 300W Bestec PSU, 160 sata hd, 512mb dual channel 3200 ram @ 3-3-5-8, ATI Radeon 9250 pci, dual layer 16x dvd+/-rw.
PerfectSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #27
Daemon Poster
 
allenn812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 935
Default Re: Physx Card???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSK
I dont really see why there is such a big hype about it. It justs like when people use cheats on their games to get unlimited lives and stuff like that. Why do you buy a game to just cheat the way through? Stick with a good video card, and leave Physx on the shelf.

Wha???????
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Oc'd to 2.9ghz
ECS 570 SLIT Motherboard
2 gig of Corsair ddr2 677
Western Digital 250 Gig HD
Evga 8800GTS 640mb Oc'd to 615/1000
allenn812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #28
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Physx Card???

No i think the physx engine is good, if its done correctly, as good graphics just won't cut it for next gen games.

As for the software updates, that is excellent, but I still wouldn't pay that much for an extension card.
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #29
Golden Master
 
joxley1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,846
Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990
Default Re: Physx Card???

If you had the spare cash you would..wouldn't you?

I think it will be the next thing gamers just have to have..
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #30
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Physx Card???

No, I wouldn't even if I had the spare cash.

It should be expected as a more budget thing to speed up games that the graphics card can't already do, even though it should be able to rather easy with new cards.

So, no, I don't agree being at that price, it would do very well at all. Its only speeding up the processing of physics after all, which should be able to be done in other ways.

A $30-$50 card, fine, but not that much.

I think of it as more a USB type connector card that plugs into a spare slot to add more functionality to existing hardware. You don't see them going for $300!!!
__________________

__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0