Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Photo Scanner

Hello
I am looking to purchase a scanner that will do all my old print photos into digital copies.
I have never used such a machice, so just looking for some advice on what to look for for features and quality.
I have about 750 photos that Id like to do, so definately something that isnt time/work intensive between photos

Cheers!

phantasm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Photo Scanner

Flatbed Scanners

Flatbed scanners will take up some desktop space but provide a lot of bang for the buck. They look like miniature printers with a flip-up cover protecting the glass platen. Depending on its size, a flatbed scanner can fit standard or legal-sized documents, and the flexible cover allows you to scan large items such as books. These scanners are great for scanning the occasional newspaper article, book chapter, or photograph; or for those who may need to scan or bulky items such as the cover of a DVD. Flatbed scanners are often built into multifunction printers (MFPs). You can find a decent flatbed scanner for $100 or less.

Photo Scanners

Scanning documents doesn’t require high resolution or color depth; but scanning photos does. Many all-purpose scanners can also scan photos, meaning that you don’t need a separate device to handle your photographs. But if you need a scanner primarily to digitize film negatives or slides, a photo scanner is a better deal (even if it is considerably more expensive than an all-purpose scanner). Photo scanners include specialized technology so that they can deal with slides and negatives; they also have built-in software to clean up old photos. Decent photo scanners will start at about $130 (and go way up from there).

(taken from about.com)

I have a canon mp280 but iv never tried to scan a photo.

it is 29 in comet (i paid 100 18months ago!!!!!!!)
Buy CANON PIXMA MP280 | MULTIFUNCTION PRINTER - Multi Function Printers | Comet

with scan res 1200x2400dpi

a photo scanner starts from around 63

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-CanoScan-LiDE-210-Scanner/dp/B00400OK4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346060479&sr=8-1

with scan res of 4800x4800dpi

(might try scanning a photo on mine now)

Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Photo Scanner

mines pretty crap......get a proper photo scanner