Performance of Xeon and/or AMD 64

Spike_1872005

Beta member
Just wondering if anyone uses Intel Xeon Processor and if so, how is the performance for this CPU? Same for AMD 64. Any info would be apprecciated.

Well, Xeon prossesors need registered Ram which is really slow, the 4000+ or even the 3800+ and maybe the 3500+ can beat it man, The Xeon is a server, Chip and should stay in its nether world of server damnation.

Yeah, Xeons are not that great
If you wanted a server processor, use an Opteron. They are the Xeon from AMD basically.

Now that I know that Xeon processors aren't worth my time nor are they what I thought, I was wondering if Intel manufactures a 64-bit cpu?I recently built a computer:

Intel P4 w/ HT 3.2Ghz
D875PBZ mobo
Only 512 MB Corsair Xtreme PC 3200 ram for now
BFG G Force FX 5200
Aspire Super Alien Case w/ 500 watt ps
Seagate 120 GB 7200 rpm hdd

This is my first build and I was just looking into options for my next project. Although I'm happy with the system, I know that I need to upgrade the video card and add some more ram.

ditch the geforce 5200 - it's a crap card, i'd look personally at a 5900xt, 6600gt or one of the 6800 series if you have the money. that is if you are planning on using your computer for gaming. the p4's ok but the amd64 is much better in most areas especailly gaming, as i'm sure zen will back me up on if he see's this. plus you'll be able to run 64 software when it becomes more widespread.

Well for ~$1200 you can get a
3500-Amd 64 Winchester Chip for mad OCers~$350
Msi-Sli Mobo ~$185
1024mb DDR-400 ~$133
200gb HDD ~$106
Powmax gay ass case ~$41
DVD-RW ~$70
6800GT(you can save up to buy another) ~$400
~$1285 TOTAL

Or you could keep your case and HDD and your 512-ram, and get

512-ram $73
3500 AMD Winchester Core $360 or the cheaper $260-Newcastle core
MSi SLi mobo- $189
2 X 6800gt- $800

~$1412 W/ WINCESTER CORE

~$1322 W/ NEWCASTLE CORE

Xeon is vastly better than an AMD 64; and they're not against Opterons, they're all on their own. Opterons are Server Processors; the many people will say they're Xeon's AMD version, but Xeon is a Server/Workstation Processor and not meant for High End. Opterons are cheap All Server Chips, Xeon's are ever cheaper Low-End Processors for Servers and Workstations and Powerful Computers. Opteron are against Itanium2; and a vastly out gunned in the respect.

I'm sure anybody here knows AMD64 to Opteron Benchmarks; so compare percentage to this: Xeon Benchmarks from Hexus. They're a pretty good site, even if they are named after the evil thing from Fern Gully.

High End Computers are Xeon :D But they're not cheap for it. A good one, the one in that Test, will set you back all of £2,000 (Dual Core) if you want to put a reasonable graphics card and such like in a basic setup you'd get from HP Building Seperatly would set you back as much. But try and find an Opteron like that! :D

Amd zen that is not a website, i tried it!!!!

I hope no-one lse can get on it, i was hoping to be the first one to get ripped off by that company!!!!lol

Back
Top Bottom