performance diff b/t agp 8x and pci-x

towly

In Runtime
performance diff b/t agp 8x and pci-e

is there a huge difference in performance b/t agp and pci-x? Im wondering because in march of next year I want to go to 64bit technology and I've been looking at some socket 939 boards that use agp and some that use pci-x, and I cant really decide.

You mean PCI-e (PCI-express)? Most or all Socket 939 supported motherboards use PCI-e because of their supporting chipsets. Yes, there will be a huge difference moving from AGP to PCI-e. AGP cards are going to slowly be phased out of production, and eventually PCI-e cards will become dirt cheap. You have the option of SLi mode which shares GPU and the bandwidth is twice as fast as traditional AGP.

So with that in mind, PCI-e is the way to go. PCI-X is old and slower than PCI-e.

PCIe is replacing AGP soon as TRD said. Even the newest video cards now don't support AGP at all. Invest in the better technology here. Also, PCIx and PCIe are two different technologies. PCIx is fairly old now and was an attempt to improve the existing AGP architecture. Long story short, it didn't really work. Go PCIe.

if you buy a AGP board you can expect to buy one more card for it. already for the high end cards they only make PCI-e ones.

Back
Top Bottom