Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #1
Beta Member

Exclamation pentuim 3 upgrate

Hi dudes

I'm considering to upgrate my computer. I will upgrate one of these components. motherboard or CPU or videocard

motherboard: VIA Apollo Pro/133/133A PCI Chipset
but it only supports AGP 2X but my videocard (see below) supports AGP 4X including fast writes

CPU: Intel Celeron pentium 3 processor 633 mHz (66mhz X 9.5 multiplier)
i overclock the fsb to 83 mhz. so i have a total of 790 mhz pentium 3 processor (83mhz X 9.5) My motherboard support a FSB of 133 MHz. So with this processor my FSB and the MHZ of my memory turns on 83 MHz instead of 133.

Videocard: Geforce 4 MX 440 with 128 mb DDR
core clock speed: 250 mhz overclocked till 325 mhz
memory clock speed: 333mhz overclocked till 416 mhz. and it still runs fine with computergames

So which of the components above will i change to get the best preformance results. I know that a motherboard or a CPU are cheap in proportion with a videocard. So i will a upgrate that give me the best price qualities proportion.

and how many would i have to spend.

I have 2 more questions.

At home i have also a pentium 2 celeron processor 450 mhz at (100mhz fsb)
i have notist that my pentium 3 celeron 790 mhz at (83 mhz fsb) with tripple so mush MB of ram and a geforce 4 mx 440 is just a litle faster in games like unreal tounament, rune, need for speed 3, deltaforce task force dagger, enz…. (games that are at least 3 years old)
I must tell that my old computer has a voodoo 3 (pci) and almost all this games work with 3dfx.

So my question(s) are:

Will my computer go much faster when i buy a new intel INSIDE processor (example 1.2 GHZ) for my pentium 3 with a fsb of 133mhz fsb? is a bigger FSB mush faster?

Is there a big difference between Intel CELERON processors and other Intel processors (Intel inside processors)?

I ask this question because i don't want to play the new games of the moment, I just want a boost for my computer so i can play the old games with a boost of 15 a 20 fps in this games.

killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: pentuim 3 upgrate

Well i recon you should change the processor cause my bro has a geforce 4 mx 440 with a 2 ghz processor and it plays all new game fine and the geforce 4 mx is an fairly good card. Yes your computer will go faster with a 1.2 ghz it just depends what ya will be running for games maybe try and get abit more ghz but for other stuff it is fine.

GeforcebOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Yeah - I don't know any minimum requirements but I know that its certainly not fast enough for some games I've heard of recently.

Problem being;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer
Is there a big difference between Intel CELERON processors and other Intel processors (Intel inside processors
Yes! By god yes! With the sort of specs you're talking about there I doubt you'll be able to put the processor in even if it was built for a P4! I'm almost certain that it won't take it. You want to double the clock-speed and that motherboard if not everything else and most of all the Processor pad are not ready for it. If you want a P4 in there - get your hands on an early P4 board! I would not recommend putting a Pentium 4 Processor in a Motherboard that was build when 1Ghz was something tested in labs and working in Microwaves! Hell! The bloody 1Ghz Processor they had when the 600Mhz was out hardly worked for 3 seconds before it blew up!
Old 02-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
Site Team

I would go for a CPU upgrade. Don't get a celeron, they have smaller FSBs and caches.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:18 PM   #5
Guru

Yeah - but I still doubt you'll be able to get the P4 in the Celeron Slot - or that it'll have enough power, or that the Motherboard will be able to take it. Even if it was a P3 then I would still doubt thtat you could do it.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
Baseband Member

Swap the processor or if you can afford it, swap the motherboard, processor and RAM, for a much more exciting PC experience. You will notice a significant difference with anything over 2GHZ and a minimum of 256MB RAM (512 preferred)
300GB Hard Disk
512MB DDR2 nVIDIA GeForce 7300 Graphics Card
2048MB RAM
Pentium D 3.2GHz (Dual-Core) Processor
Soundblaster Audigy 4 Sound Card
16 x DVD ROM
Sony Dual Layer DVD Re-Wrighter with Lightscribe
andrewuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
Guru

Yeah - I think to notice any great different you'd have to upgrade all three.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
Yeah - I think to notice any great different you'd have to upgrade all three.
Yeah!