Pentium gaming?

lmandrews

Baseband Member
Found this on toms hardware under their 4th quarter budget build.I was wondering how you guys feel about pentium gaming. I was thinking about going with this build instead of a i5 with a 650 ti.

$500 Gaming PC System Components

CPU
Intel Pentium G850 (Sandy Bridge): 2.9 GHz Base Clock Rate, No Turbo Boost, 3 MB Shared L3 Cache
$70

Motherboard
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP: LGA 1155, Intel H77 Express
$70

RAM
G.Skill Value Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1333 F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT $34

Graphics
PowerColor AX7850 1GBD5-DH: Radeon HD 7850 1 GB $170

Hard Drive
Western Digital WD3200AAKX: 320 GB, 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
$65

Case
Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid-Tower $40

Power Supply
Antec VP-450 450 W $36

Optical Drive
LG 24x DVD Burner SATA Model GH24NS90-OEM $16
Total Price $501

System Builder Marathon, Q4 2012: $500 Gaming PC : Squeezing More Bang From The Same Buck

CPU
Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz CPU Review - Intel Pentium G850 Processor Review - Legit Reviews
2 core and locked multiplier. Only way to kick this beatch in the drawers is to up the base freq. Bad choice.

MB
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
Chip set> Intel® H77 Express Chipset
Mother board isn't bad but either it's a typo or mislabeled. It shows the Z77 as the sata controller when the main chip is the H77. Check in to that first.

Ram
G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT - Newegg.com
Check the compatibility list. The H77 isn't on it.

Graphics card
All I'm going to say is if you spend that much on a nice card you're going to bottle neck it badly.

Hard drive
You can get a 500 gigger for 20 dollars more.

Case
Meh... Make sure you have plenty of air flow. Get some cable straps to tidy up the wiring.

Power supply
It'll do. You can do better.

Optical drive
I use LG but their higher end models. That one will do.

Don't always believe what you read will work for gaming. A lot of web sites are biased because they get paid to be biased. Do your homework. Or better yet stick to your original plan and go with the i5 and the GTX650 ti.

I had a feeling the Pentium wouldn't be any good but I'm on a tight budget I may just stick with my original build which is a i5 (I think a 3570k), a 650ti GPU some 500gb drive, a nzxt case, corsair vengeance 8gb ram, h61m mono and a raid max psu

Do what I did. Sign up at Newegg and keep an eye out for the sale emails. Some of the shell shocker items are for ridiculously cheap prices. If you're on a tight budget that would be a good route to go.
Just don't buy junk. Better to spend a couple of extra bucks getting a good brand name than it is to cut a corner and get bit in the butt later. The warranty is as important as the product itself.

Do what I did. Sign up at Newegg and keep an eye out for the sale emails. Some of the shell shocker items are for ridiculously cheap prices. If you're on a tight budget that would be a good route to go.
Just don't buy junk. Better to spend a couple of extra bucks getting a good brand name than it is to cut a corner and get bit in the butt later. The warranty is as important as the product itself.

Yes, I was posting about deals but the thread was closed for some reason, They have great prices especially on hard drives.

I am signed up on newegg but I always forget to check my emails! I'm planning on buying my i5 through microcenter because their processors are like 50$ off. Everything else I'll probably buy through newegg and just keep an eye out for deals and sign up for shoprunner for free shipping.

Careful with Microcentre. Some of the deals are in store only and subject to rebates you'll have trouble getting.

Back
Top Bottom