Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Pentium Dual Core E6700 3.20 Ghz vs Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 Ghz. (game) Help! :)

CPU benchmark says that Pentium Dual Core E6700 gets much higher score than Core 2 Duo E6700... But some people say that Core 2 Duo is better because it's newer and have more L2 cache. Could anyone tell me which one is better for gaming such as GTA 4 or CoD MW2? Thanks!

ppiyongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to connchri
Default Re: Pentium Dual Core E6700 3.20 Ghz vs Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 Ghz. (game) Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiyongs View Post
CPU benchmark says that Pentium Dual Core E6700 gets much higher score than Core 2 Duo E6700... But some people say that Core 2 Duo is better because it's newer and have more L2 cache. Could anyone tell me which one is better for gaming such as GTA 4 or CoD MW2? Thanks!
Historically, the 'Pentium' line of CPU's were the performance parts that intel produced for the desktop. Since the release of the Core series, Intel re-used the Pentium brand (because of it universal recognition) for it's budget 'core' based CPU's.

So, a concurrent 'Pentium' chip is actually a Core 2 based CPU with less amount of L2 cache and often a crippled front side bus (FSB). What your comparing is a 2006 Core 2 Duo to a 2010 Pentium (Core 2 based) CPU. The higher clocked Pentium CPU more than offsets the difference in L2 cache (4MB vs 2MB). Apart from that, the FSB are the same, the architecture is the same, everything else is the same - in this case. A more recent Core 2 Duo would have a higher FSB of 1333MHz.

You need to be careful with what type of 'Pentium' chip you are talking about.

In this case, you would expect the 'Pentium' to out perform that Core 2 Duo chip in most cases.

Hope that helps.