Pentium Dual Core beats my Core 2 Duo?!

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
My friend and I both have laptops. My friend's laptop has a Pentium Dual Core @ 1.86GHz which gets a Windows 7 rating of 4.9 whereas my Core 2 Duo @ 1.80GHz gets 4.5. Why does the Pentium get a higher score, I'm sure that 600MHz more can't be the reason. I dont really mind, I'm just more curious, any ideas?

faster FSB could be playing a small roll, also if he has faster memory the CPU can get the test data faster giving a mock rating boost. How does everything else match up?

Mate's Laptop:
Sony Vaio
Intel Integrated Graphics
Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 1.86GHz
2GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM
160GB HDD 5400RPM

My Laptop
Dell Vostro 1510:
nVidia GeForce 8400M GS 256MB
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.80GHz
2GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM
250GB HDD

His laptop does also get a better HDD speed rating even though they are both 5400RPM, its weird, maybe its the motherboard?

Its because its a Sony Vaio. Sony pays Microsoft money under the table to have them adjust the Windows experience rating.

On a serious note, are you both using the same version of Windows?

His could get better HDD speed ratings because of the different read/write speeds of hard drives.

I doubt it's a direct motherboard thing. Could be drivers, or like caveman said, versions of windows.

Just saying, the pentium dual core is the exact same thing as a core2duo, except with slightly less cache. So that's your answer.

Don't let it bother you, those ratings don't mean much. If you really want to find the performance differences, then get some real benchmarks.

No serious pc enthusiast takes a blind bit of notice to windows ratings. They are pretty much useless apart from helping microsoft encourage it's inexperienced PC users to buy upgrades they don't need.

Back
Top Bottom