Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Pentium 4 problem

Hi all.

I have a PC which when I run OCCT it reports errors in the CPU after about ten minutes of testing. I decided to get a new Pentium 4 CPU for it.

I replaced the CPU with what I assumed to be an exact replacement but now while everything 'spins round' OK. ie all fans and things obviously visible are working, nothing at all appears on the monitor. If I switch the monitor on first it shows a green LED and 'no signal' is displayed. When I then switch the PC on, after about two seconds the monitor LED turns yellow. Nothing at all is displayed throughout.

I removed the 'new' CPU and replaced my old one and it booted up fine as before (having to load BIOS defaults due to it recognising my 'old' CPU as a new one. I then got hold of another 'new' CPU exactly the same as the first 'new' one and again, nothing at all is displayed.

I removed the power cord and keyboard/mouse/monitor cables and held down the power button for a minute. But this did not solve it either.

Checking the CPU markings, there are just tiny differences but my supplier says it should work OK.

My old one is marked;-

658 SL727 Costa Rica

The 'new' one is;

651 SL9KE Costa Rica

My mobo is a ASUS P5VD1-X

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

barrykap is offline   Reply With Quote