Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Unhappy Pentium 4 2.8ghz upgrade fail?

Greetings. I've been trying to bring an old computer back to life for a few months now but can't seem to swap the old Celeron 4A on it for something better. I've tryed a Prescott Pentium 4 on it before, the leds turned on but it didn't boot, which was a real bummer because I got it for $15 on Ebay and had to return it for a refund. Now I try to install a Pentium 4 2.8ghz and it still failed... The leds turn on, no boot... What could the cause be? The motherboard is a D865GLC, revision C27501-484. It could be the power supply, but Windows reports that it goes beyond 400w. It should be noted that I did install a 8400gs PCI card, but this upgrade was successful. I'm sorry if anyone is angered by this post. Also, does it matter if the power supply is old?

Lurno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Pentium 4 2.8ghz upgrade fail?

you need to flash update the bios.
i had a dell demention 5000. i did buy a pentium D. but i had the same problem as you.
turns out that i could go to dells homapage and download the latest bios. that bios did support the pentium D.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Intel's updater fails. Picture: Imageshack - unledq.jpg This computer has been modified so much (dead motherboard replacement, HDD Failure, etc.) that an update from a manufacture is not possible. Any alternatives?
Old 04-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

hmmm.
that is weird.
i dont think that there is an alternative.
i still think that it is wiard that you cant bios update it.

sorry. at this point i dont know what to do.
for a last try i whould have tryed to update it via the bios and not inside windows.
i just dont know if it is gonna fail. you might be in troble if it failes.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Baseband Member

As it turns out... The motherboard was made by Gateway.Gateway Support Drivers & Downloads However, both bios update methods fail. The first one gives me the same error but the floppy method tells me that the computer doesn't support flash memory... Man... Even with the 8400gs upgrade and 1gb of ram, that old Celeron hits 100% usage with simple flash... Anyways, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

no problem.
sorry i could not be to more help.

yeah the celeron is a very bad CPU.
i dont suppose that you can overclock it via the bios.
the bios is most lickly locked,
but even if the bios is locked you can some times overclock via programes like clockgen.
you could tjek that out and maybe get some more power out of that old cpu.
i did overclock my netbook (yeah.. a netbook. not a notebook) with ghz.
i can feel the difference.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

The celeron is not a "very bad CPU" it's just not a high end processor. It was created to fill a segment in the market and did a fairly good job at it.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Looks like I removed a post from the OP while cleaning thigns out. The text is quoted below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurno
As it turns out... The motherboard was made by Gateway.Gateway Support Drivers & Downloads However, both bios update methods fail. The first one gives me the same error but the floppy method tells me that the computer doesn't support flash memory... Man... Even with the 8400gs upgrade and 1gb of ram, that old Celeron hits 100% usage with simple flash... Anyways, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Yeah, sounds like you most likely need a bios update, or the mobo just doesnt support that processor. Not too terribly much you can do. You would really be better just building a new computer IMO, no point in putting any more money into that one. That's my opinion though.