PCI IDE controllers

Alright I made a mistake when ordering parts for my new system. I thought the HD I got was a sata drive but when I got it I realized I ordered the IDE drive by accident. I am planning on putting my old HD which is also IDE in my new computer build but also planned on putting in my DVD-RW and DVD drive. Well with my setup I had to run the new HD in a 3.5 floppy bay and my DVD-RW in the bottom tray so I could get at least get 1 HD and 1 Disc drive going.

I was looking at the PCI cards don't really want to spend that much was wondering what I should be looking for. Also if you have any recomendations i'll be running 2 HD's and possibly 3 Disc drives. I planned on buying another HD but i'll make sure its a sata connection. Will I notice a huge difference I know max is 133mb/sec? Kinda sucks but i'm not paying a 15% return on my screw up.

So what you are saying is that you want to run more than one IDE harddrive? If that's not it then I really don't understand what you are asking.

To connect both of your IDE drives you need an IDE cable with two connections running off it so you can connect both HDD's with a single cable. You then set one to primary and the second as a slave drive using the jumpers on the back. If you want to connect a SATA harddrive then you will need a SATA controller so yeah you'll need to buy one in the form of a PCI interface card if your motherboard doesn't already have an integrated SATA controller.
Same goes for the CD-ROMs. If you want to connect two of them then you need an IDE cable with two connection on it. There is no reason to be needing 3 cd-rom drives so I don't understand why you want to add the 3rd.

Yes I want to run 2 HD's and at least 2 DVD drives. My motherboard only has 1 connection for a IDE Plug in. That means I can only currently run 1 HD and 1 DVD drive. I do have 6 sata plug ins though. But these HD's are not sata so thats irrealevent. I just some input on a good PCI IDE card. The reason for the 3rd drive is burning 2 DVD's at a time.

Back
Top Bottom