PCI-Express Compliant PSU's

xeonman9000

Beta member
Hi, nice forums you've got going here.
Any way, I'm in the process of upgrading my PC and have just bought a PCI-Express BFG 7600GT OC graphics card and it says on the box that is requires a "350W PCI-Express compliant System Power Supply".
I am planning to buy this motherboard and a Core 2 Duo E6300 or E6400 (any thoughts on that? Is it worth the extra £30?) and use my existing, cheapo power supply as seen here. Would this PSU be suitable? It doesn't need a seperate connection for the card, just:
BFG Website said:
A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A or more)
Would my PSU supply this? And are the connections OK (a 20 pin and a seperate 4 pin)?
Thanks, bye.

That PSU should be fine. Its a 450 watt, and from what you are putting in here, it should be able to hold everything that you are wanting.
I also recommend the Core 2 duo E6400 due to it having a faster speed. Even though it may be dual core, you still want to make sure it is going to run fast enough especially with new systems switching to quad cores here in the near future.

The connections are fine. They should also connect perfect to your mobo.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know about the motherboard.
How soon are we talking for these quad cores? And I'm assuming it would be at least a year after their release before they become fair game for a pennyless student.

Actually, any PSU will work as long as it's 350W or higher. The only difference is that it's a 24-pin ATX connector. That's a PCI-E compliant PSU. You could always buy a convertor if yours is a 20-pin.

My current Motherboard (ASUS A8V-MX) has a 24-pin socket on it, but it works fine with the psu plugged into the first 20 pins. Would this be the case for my new PCI-Express board? Or is that what the extra 4 pins are for?

Back
Top Bottom