PCI-express - beats all AGP cards?

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
Would any PCI-e 16x card be better than any AGP 8x card? Or would some of the AGP 8x cards be just as good as some of the PCI-e 16x cards?

well it depends, if you had a 6800gt on agp 8x it would obviously beat a 6600 on pci-e as long as your pc can handle processing that card, they are equal up to a certain point once the bandwidth goes way high, im not sure how much bandwidth and up to what card they are equal, but i know its true cause ive tried it myself

You also have to think or the future, i don't think AGP are being made anymore in vast numbers, new mobos are all PCI-E i think. IMO itd be foolish to spend a lot on an AGP, as ur limited to what u can upgrade to motherboard wise in the future.

Speed wise, ive always been told that PCIE is better than AGP.

i don't think a 6800 AGP could beat a 6600 PCI express, but a 7600 AGP would beat a 6800 PCI express.

PCI express has a much faster bus spead allowing for quicker data transfers, making cards of teh same serise completely different in performance.

celegorm said:
i don't think a 6800 AGP could beat a 6600 PCI express, but a 7600 AGP would beat a 6800 PCI express.

PCI express has a much faster bus spead allowing for quicker data transfers, making cards of teh same serise completely different in performance.

well thats not always true, just because the bandwidth is the same doesnt mean the card can process all that bandwidth and use it all to its possible potential, now if you get into the 7 series i would definately agree with you, but not with 6800's

In terms of bandwidth, yes. In terms of performance, it depends on the video cards you're comparing.

alvino said:
In terms of bandwidth, yes. In terms of performance, it depends on the video cards you're comparing.

ya exactly, think of it this way...

water is a 6800
the pipes are the agp and pcie

say you pour 2gallons of water down a 4 inch pipe (agp) it would probably take up the full 4 inches or almost all of it, then say you pour 2 gallons of water down a 12inch pipe (pcie) all the water still gets through at the same time, but the pci e pipe isnt fully used, this is the same exact theory

It all depends on how you're looking at it. PCI-E x16 has the biggest bandwith than any other ones.

In terms of speed, that depends on the cores. You could benchmark both 6600GT AGP and PCI-E and the differences would be little. Same core speeds, same RAM speeds. The only difference is that the bandith speed is higher on the 6600GT PCI-E.

Also, AGP bottlenecks the newer cards, because of that missing bandwith.

If you're wondering if AGP will revive, I'm keeping it in mind. It may come back with a better and much faster bandwith and speeds compared to the PCI-E. It takes time.

The only one I think could beat PCI-E would be PCI-X 64.

be careful on some motherboards the PCI-E slot only signals at 8x making it the same as an AGP slot.

i think they should have named the port AGP2 or AGP 16x

lhuser said:
It all depends on how you're looking at it. PCI-E x16 has the biggest bandwith than any other ones.

In terms of speed, that depends on the cores. You could benchmark both 6600GT AGP and PCI-E and the differences would be little. Same core speeds, same RAM speeds. The only difference is that the bandith speed is higher on the 6600GT PCI-E.

Also, AGP bottlenecks the newer cards, because of that missing bandwith.

If you're wondering if AGP will revive, I'm keeping it in mind. It may come back with a better and much faster bandwith and speeds compared to the PCI-E. It takes time.

The only one I think could beat PCI-E would be PCI-X 64.

Not any PCI-E card could beat AGP cards. Their is a minimal performance difference between PCI-E and AGP on all but the best of graphics cards.

Alot of cards out their today don't even utilize the full bandwidth of AGP8X. For example a 6600GT showed no performance boost with being run in 8X mode compared to 4X.

Also PCI-E16 is quite a bit faster than PCI-X

Back
Top Bottom