PCI-E and AGP

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Is their such thing as a motherboard that has capabilites to hold an AGP card, and a pci-express card? Because in my brothers computer he also has a radeon 9800, but his mobo is only running a 4x slot, and only has 512 mb of ram, so hes upgrading those things, but doesnt want to upgrade his graphics card for a little while. And when he does upgrade his graphics card, he's probably going to want to go for a pci-express card.

"Because in my brothers computer he also has a radeon 9800, but his mobo is only running a 4x slot, and only has 512 mb of ram"

I had this type of problem, as I have a 9800Pro too, and wanted to keep it (didn't know there were boards that supported both) so I decided to get an 8x aGP motherboard with my new system (updated everything else), but I wish I just got a new card now to tell the truth.

That link won't work :( But if the prices were much higher, you'd probably be best off getting a PCI-E motherboard, getting a better card, and then selling the 9800Pro off for a bit of extra cash (might be able to get a bit). Seems more logical to me as that AGP slot would become a waste to have after your brother updates :)

it is possible to find the mobo's but because of the space taken by the 2 slots there is generally not enough room to expand as in not enough pci slots..Heck i love it when i sound smart

Yeah, I heard about them in a magazine so this means you could get a PCI-e only board, and just buy that adapter to allow for the 9800 card to still work from AGP! Would probably end up cheaper than buying that board too, and would mean a great swap...and two things to sell after he updates :p

Look how much it costs too:

Press release; John McClure, DigiTimes.com [Tuesday 17 May 2005]

"Albatron has developed an AGP-to-PCI-Express (PCIe) bridge card called the ATOP, which allows users to use an AGP 8x VGA card on a PCIe motherboard.

Consumers have been hesitant to upgrade to motherboards with the PCIe standard because it means needing to purchase a new expensive PCIe graphics card. The new solution with the ATOP bridge is currently only available for the Albatron AGP 8x 6200A low-profile card. According to a source at Albatron, the ATOP bridge will only add around US$20 to the current prices for AGP 8x cards.

The AGP 8x 6200A card piggybacks on the ATOP card's AGP 8x slot located on the top edge. The ATOP card is then plugged into the motherboard's PCIe slot."

$20 , not bad huh?!

I've tried searching for places to buy it, though can't find any as yet...though we know it exists....

Back
Top Bottom