Pci-e 1x too close to Pci-e 16x

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hi everyone.
FINALLY got myself a working video card. However, I almost crapped myself when after just booting up XP, the monitor suddenly lost its signal and the signal would be lost earlier and earlier each time I reset the computer.

It turns out, that as far as I know, the fan on the 8600GTS was actually touching the Pci-E 1x Sound Card I had right underneath it, and it couldn't spin. I was terrified one of the cards would be damaged now but I know now that at LEAST the video card is working fine.

I removed my sound card, replaced my video card, and switched on the computer. It works now. BUT - Clearly I can't put my sound card back in. Isn't there a standard for the dimensions of cards, slots, etc? It's not fair that I got this video card and can no longer use my X-Fi sound card.

I don't really know what to get out of this topic, I doubt there's many solutions but if you guys could help out somehow that would be wonderful.

-Rhys

It sounds like you have a video card that has a large HSF on it that takes up another slot. If you have an SLI board, you could try moving the video card to the secondary PCIe slot. You could also look into getting an aftermarket heatsink that's not so big. :D

The Thermalright VGA heatsinks can be mounted on either side of the card I think. Cost is about £25 ($?)

Well, it's sorta strange.

The 8800GT I had in there fit fine, but it seemed more chunky than the Inno3D 8600GTS. Anyway, I do'nt have an SLI board, what I'm thinking I have to do now is sell my pci-e sound card and get a PCI one.

-RHys

It's typical of many motherboards to put a PCIe x1 slot right next to the PCIe x16 slot. Not real good planning if you ask me.

I have a question. Why did you replace an 8800GT with a 8600GTS? That's a step backwards performance wise.

8600GTS was the best I could get that wasn't Pci-E 2.0. Or if there was better, I didn't really want to spend much because I regretted spending $350 on the 8800gt.

-Rhys

Yep.
ALTHOUGH, I opened a support ticket in Gigabyte regarding the issue and they responded very well - they actually took the issue to the updates department and built a BETA BIOS update that apparently fixes the issue. By then I'd sold the 8800GT, so I can't actually test it to see if it actually does.

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom