Is this PC worth it?

Zdorab

Solid State Member
At Ibuypower.com you can create a custom PC and they will put it together and ship it to you. Here are the specs for the PC I want to buy from them, if it is a good/average deal.

Case ( [$15 OFF Mail-In Rebate] Nzxt Apollo Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )
Power Supply ( Standard Case Power Supply )
Processor ( [Socket-AM2] AMD Athlonâ„¢64 X2 5000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )
Free Software/Game ( Free Games - [Age of Empires III] and [Rise Of Nations: Rise Of Legend] must purchase with AMD Athlon 64 X2/Mobile AMD Turion 64/Turion 64 X2 Processor based system )
Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Ultimate cooling performance + Smart CPU & System Thermal Management )
Motherboard ( GigaByte GA-M55SLI-S4 nForce4 SLI chipset w/7.1 Audio, Dual Gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )
Hard Drive ( 250 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )
External Raid Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
CD/DVD Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM + 52x32x52 CD-RW Combo Drive Black )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) )
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( None )
Additional Software ( Microsoft Works 8.0 (make the most of your home PC) )
IEEE-1394 Fire Wire Card ( IEEE-1394 Firewire PCI Card w/Cable + Software )
Wireless Network Adapter ( [Special !!!] Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps PCI Adapter )
Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

It's primarily meant to be a gaming rig, and they have it priced at 1,253 USD. Is this a good deal? Is that a good PC? I've spent a lot of time on New Egg looking up the parts/comparing prices, and this seems to be the best option for me, as I've never built a computer before. Thanks for you time in advance.

Doesn't look too bad. The only thing that catches my mind would be the processor. For as much as you are spending, I would get an Intel Core 2 instead of the AMD.

Ok, thanks for the speedy reply.

I've also been looking at other topics, and to me it looks like I'll need a bigger power supply, it comes with 420 and I will need 500+?

Depending on what manufacturer makes that 8800 yes. If you can afford the upgrade, get atleast a 450 watt, a 500 watt is better. Also, if listed try to find one with atleast 26 Amps on the +12 volt rail.

Thanks again.

As I've been browsing these forums I see more and more about overclocking, what is it? My guess is that it pushes your hardware to the limit without overheating (You need a HUGE cooling system, right?). How far am I from the truth?

Its just making your cpu/gpu/RAM or whatever run faster than it is rated for. Huge cooling system? No, not huge, but aftermarket is nice.

Overclocking is when you raise the speeds of your processor ram or graphics card by about 10-20%. You don't need a huge cooling system, unless you are overclocking around 50%. The pricing of a cpu I beleive should go by the amount of strain it can take, and the speeds are upclocked or downclocked to meet the strain level of that processor. I overclocked my AMD CPU about 8%, stable, with stock cooling.

Uh, double post? It's like, cut off. Anyway I have no idea what happened here, sorry.

Overclocking is when you raise the speeds of your processor ram or graphics card by about 10-20%. You don't need a huge cooling system, unless you are overclocking around 50%. The pricing of a cpu I beleive should go by the amount of strain it can take, and the speeds are upclocked or downclocked to meet the strain level of that processor. I overclocked my AMD CPU about 8%, stable, with stock cooling.

Now, about that PC, it's a great little machine, but it's abit pricey. I would say it's what dell would charge for a PC with more inferior components. This is a step better than buying a dell/other prebuilt computer, but the BEST and cheapest option would be to build your PC on your own. Check out newegg.com if you haven't already. You can find the exact same parts that were used in this prebuilt gaming PC, just use the search button, add the items to cart, when you are done, look in your cart and you will see the total price. All you gota do is ship it, and have fun building it! Assuming you have some kinda experience with computer parts. If you don't, it's never too late to start, grap an old PC and a phillips head screwdriver, and have fun exploring the inside of the computer. Get to know all the parts, and try and put it back together! If you can't, learn how! When you are ready, go build yourself a new computer. Good luck!

Yeah man, I could build a better PC with a much superior PSU and PCU for about $900 dollars. They are ripping you off.

Plus, assembling your computer is incredibly simple, you just plug things into their proper ports. Plus if you want to overclock, you should know how all the hardware is set up.

Back
Top Bottom