PC won't turn back on after power outage.

afrowookie

Baseband Member
Hey all, the other day we had a huge snow storm and the power went out for about 30+ hours. When the power came back(we were not home) my brothers PC must have turned on by itself. It was on when the power went out. Anyways, when we got home we noticed an electrical burning smell coming from his PC, we isolated it to the power supply since the smell cam from there the strongest. We bought a new PS and installed it, the LED on the MB lights up but whenever we press the power switch nothing happens. Could the power outage have messed up everything including the MB and other components?

I am in the process of swapping out components to another PC to see if they work to see at least if we still have everything on the HDD's.

Please help, any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Check the jumpers on the motherboard, none of them have come loose while you have changed the psu over have they, check pw switch, reset etc.

Most volatile thing with power surges is the ram, if that's fried then the pc won't even post. Swap out the ram first.
You can power the pc on with a screwdriver, just short the pw switch jumpers together if the power button is knackered, or use the reset switch as power switch for now

When I press power switch nothing happens, no fans come on or anything that would give me signs of life coming from the computer. The only thing i see is after installing the new PS the LED on the MB lights up which leads me to believe that at least the power is getting to the MB from the new PS. In the meantime i will give some of those suggestions a try. Thanks

This is why you drop another 100 bucks on a UPS. Not only do you get a little run time, enough to get shut down, you get superior surge supression. Most likely it suffered a massive power spike when the power came back on.
Make a claim on your homeowners or renters insurance. But before you plug in another computer in your home get the UPS. I use APC. A lot of bang for the buck.

yes this sounds like memory as you are getting lights on the motherboard, buy or swap out the ram and see if it works. if it does great you have solved the problem if not you have to start looking deeper in to it. also are you using the kettle lead that the power supply came with or the original one if you have a multi meter check the voltage of the kettle lead to see what it is drawing.

Kind Regards

Last edited:
I solved the problem. Stupid me. After swapping the new PS into another system to makes that worked, and then individually swapping and testing the ram in the other system, everything worked fine. Then proceeded to put everything back in the problem system, I think that when I first installed the new PS I didn't have the 20pin and 4 pin connecter sitting together properly thus not allowing the 4pin to be correctly seated. When reinstalling everything those two connectors seem to connect a lot easier.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Back
Top Bottom