PC won't post.

worshipme

Golden Master
I'm trying to fix a computer for somebody. Apparently, it was just turned on the other day and wouldn't post. So, the first thing I'm going to do is reset the BIOS
by just taking the battery out for 30 mins as he doesn't have the manual so I don't know the jumper set up, and then if that doesn't work, I'll try to figure out which component is stopping it posting. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what the problem could be?

As for the jumpers you'll have to look around. You should be able to find the motherboard model somewhere on the board.

Google it and see if you can find a PDF manual to help you there.

As for what the problem is thats tough. Your going to need to start testing components one by one.

The first thing I'd do is pull the ram run memtest on each module, then pull the HD and make sure it isn't corrupt, then pull the GPU make sure its working hopefully you have a test system/parts that you can diagnose with. If that checks out the next step would be putting a different CPU in his board and test the board.

After you know everything else is working fine you can put back in the original board. If it doesn't post with a new cpu its possible he fried the board. You could try 1 stick in each dimm slot to make sure its not just a bad dimm preventing the boot.

Thats about the best general advice I can give you without knowing more about the system or previous symptoms.

The system is;
Pentium D 2.8GHz
1GB 400MHz 2x512MB, I'm not sure whether it's DDR or DDR2
SIS mobo (not sure which model)
160GB 7200RPM
350W generic PSU.

is it giving you a post error at all (series of beeps)?? If it is those would help a lot.

I'm not sure as I don't actually have it yet. This is just a description of the problem. As far as I know, it was running fine up until now.

Finding out if it had beep errors would be a good start, also see if you can get into safemode. Beep errors are mostly ram problems

beep codes are RAM\Video problems, if you get no beep codes\no picture its either your motherboard\cpu.

any other problem is reported on the screen.

Fixed. Turned out I was changing the wrong jumpers (not sure what the ones I was changing were exactly) to reset the BIOS. I was completely confused after taking out and testing every single component, I noticed a small red jumper. Problem solved. Was a bit annoying though as I had spent two hours on it and it turned out to be a little thing like that.

Back
Top Bottom