PC wont boot up, but power supply on Home built pc

mdhanahan

Beta member
Okay, so I did a ton of trouble shooting first. Tested monitor, Took out the battery, moved around the jumper in an attempt to reset the BIOS CMOS, reseated everything, tried booting up with only certain things seated, disconnected the HD and CD reader. I tried lots of things. I just came back from best buy with a new power supply, hooked it up, still wont boot, but will turn on. I have no flipping clue what to do now and I definitely don't want to bring it to geek squad for $70+.

Does anyone know what else I should try? HELP! :eek:

Home built pc, built 6 years ago...Intel MB(Not sure what Processor I have), 2GB DDR2 5300RAM, 300GB HD, ATI Radeon x1300 256MB PCI Graphics card

Take the system out of your case, re-assemble it on a flat surface like a table or old box. Try booting it with just the essentials - RAM, CPU, video card. No hard drive or anything. See if it boots up.

If not, try another video card.

If still no dice, then either the motherboard or CPU bit it.

Make sure all the jumpers and everything got put back where they were supposed to. Make sure the HDD is hooked back up properly. When you say it "starts but won't boot" what does that mean? Do you see the BIOS Screen? If not then it's probably the MOBO.

Thanks. The power supply and all the fans go, but I don't hear any beeping or normal start up sounds, also, nothing displays on the monitor at all. I hooked the monitor up to my laptop and it worked fine. I tried a new video card just now and it still didn't work. I also tried it with just RAM CPU and GPU...so, I guess it's the motherboard or CPU. I really hope it's the board. Can I reuse my existing chip on a new board?

Just because the fans spin, doesn't mean the PSU is ok. I'd take a volt-meter and check the wires to make sure the voltages are good. A dead 12v or 5v line might cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom