PC upgrade problems, please help me.

Clutch1

In Runtime
Okay, to start here's as much info as I can muster up on my set up. It's a "stock" Compaq Presario SR1220NX. 340 Intel Celeron processor, 2.93GHz, 256KB L2 cache, 533MHz front side bus. 512MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB ultra DMA hard drive, CD-RW drive and DVD-rom drive (Info from the front of the case).

I want to install Black and White 2 on it but it said there was some sort of "Fatal Error" after I installed (had to ignore a problem with loading one of the sound files). I have already looked into upgrading the video card, but I don't have a port to plug a new one in (at least I don't see one). I know the current video card is intergrated with the motherboard.

Is there any way for me to get around this? Is there still a way I can install a new video card or do I have to get a new motherboard?

If this can't be done, can you give me a cost effective route to building up a new tower? I want to build a new one, but if I can hold on to this one for now, it would be great. I gotta worry about moving out before building a computer the way I want it.

Thank you guys and gals in advance!! :cool:

u can always use the pci slot for vid cards. It's quite damn slow though, and will only allow u to use low-end cards. Though it would be good to have something else than pci, agp and pci-e are alot faster and support better vid cards.
Also check that the psu has enough wattage to support a new vid card, u should be fine with something like a 300W psu if u are getting a pci vid card. U can check the wattage from the psu, just open the case and there should be a sticker on the side of the psu.

Yeah? I didn't know you could do that.

What kind of vid card should I look at if that's the route I wanna take?

Or maybe lend me a few bux so I can get a new tower? LOL!! :p

I'm looking into a few barebones kits since I got alot of re-useable(sp) stuff right here, plus a brand new, still in the box, LG internal super multi DVD/CD rewriter with LightScribe!

Are there any cost effective (not too expensive, but not really slow at the same time) processors out there? I don't need an all out system cause I'm not an extreme gamer, just something nice to run what I have.

One more edit, sorry.

What about some of these? I google'd PCI vid cards and got this page from newegg. What would you reccommend?

CLICKY!!

I would say they are all good video cards for your setup. But if you choose not to build a new one and just upgrade you should get another 512mb of ram and a better gfx card. If you have an agp slot on your motherboard you can get quite a nice one.

jeo14888 said:
I would say they are all good video cards for your setup. But if you choose not to build a new one and just upgrade you should get another 512mb of ram and a better gfx card. If you have an agp slot on your motherboard you can get quite a nice one.

That's the problem. I don't have an agp slot. I only have pci's.

I do plan on building a new one, but was trying to save a few bux for now. I guess I'll just grab that barebones kit and wing it from there. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom