PC to TV question

Twist86

Baseband Member
Hello everyone I am wanting to run movies on my TV from my PC so I can get comfy and I had a question since I am rather confused googling the matter.

Firstly my TV only has a jack like this
Coax%20w-F%20connector.jpg

So in order to connect my stereo I use my VCR which has 4 red/white and 2 yellow connections.

Now here are my questions.

1. I have done so in the past but will it matter if I slice a connector like the pic above and add the S-Video connector for the GPU?

2. What cable/name do I need to get to hook to onboard sound or through a mic slot with the 2 red/white connectors through the VCR?

I am using a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 motherboard.

3. Will this work going through the VCR instead of through the TV? Works for my DVD/VCR but its a PC...its never as simple.

4. If everything above will work...will I still have volume control on my TV like normal or will I have to change it through the PC?

Thank you.

1. I have done so in the past but will it matter if I slice a connector like the pic above and add the S-Video connector for the GPU?

Since your television has a coaxial input, S-Video shouldn't be much of a difference from a normal composite connection. You should have a S-Video -> composite video cord.

2. What cable/name do I need to get to hook to onboard sound or through a mic slot with the 2 red/white connectors through the VCR?
You're going to need a 3.5mm -> RCA cord. These can be found at Monoprice.com

3. Will this work going through the VCR instead of through the TV? Works for my DVD/VCR but its a PC...its never as simple.
If you connect the computer to the VCR input using a composite connection, it shouldn't be that difficult to setup. I don't think there's any other way unless you get a RF modulator for your television that will convert the RCA signal for you.

4. If everything above will work...will I still have volume control on my TV like normal or will I have to change it through the PC?
Only if your computer's volume is turned to the highest setting.

Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to do here? You aren't going to get a clear signal using the current method you have planned out. Composite alone isn't suitable for high definition video. You won't be able to read anything above 800x600, and even then it'll be difficult to read.

Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to do here? You aren't going to get a clear signal using the current method you have planned out. Composite alone isn't suitable for high definition video. You won't be able to read anything above 800x600, and even then it'll be difficult to read.

Indeed. Right now, I use my TV (32" CRT; til I upgrade :D) to watch an occasional movie from my computer. I have the vid card that's in my spec and I use the s-video out and use the s-video->component out adapter to convert it to the "yellow" RCA cable and then I have that spliced into regular wire running to my TV and back into an RCA plug to go into my TV's input. First off, the quality is sub-par...burning to a dvd and then watching ALWAYS results in better quality. Second, if it's anything other than movies that I'm doing, because of the resolution, nothing is readable. So don't expect to be typing up Word documents. Movies & Gaming are about the only things that you can do.

Back
Top Bottom