Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 35
Default PC to TV question

Hello everyone I am wanting to run movies on my TV from my PC so I can get comfy and I had a question since I am rather confused googling the matter.

Firstly my TV only has a jack like this

So in order to connect my stereo I use my VCR which has 4 red/white and 2 yellow connections.

Now here are my questions.

1. I have done so in the past but will it matter if I slice a connector like the pic above and add the S-Video connector for the GPU?

2. What cable/name do I need to get to hook to onboard sound or through a mic slot with the 2 red/white connectors through the VCR?

I am using a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 motherboard.

3. Will this work going through the VCR instead of through the TV? Works for my DVD/VCR but its a PC...its never as simple.


4. If everything above will work...will I still have volume control on my TV like normal or will I have to change it through the PC?


Thank you.
__________________

Twist86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: PC to TV question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist86 View Post
1. I have done so in the past but will it matter if I slice a connector like the pic above and add the S-Video connector for the GPU?
Since your television has a coaxial input, S-Video shouldn't be much of a difference from a normal composite connection. You should have a S-Video -> composite video cord.

Quote:
2. What cable/name do I need to get to hook to onboard sound or through a mic slot with the 2 red/white connectors through the VCR?
You're going to need a 3.5mm -> RCA cord. These can be found at Monoprice.com

Quote:
3. Will this work going through the VCR instead of through the TV? Works for my DVD/VCR but its a PC...its never as simple.
If you connect the computer to the VCR input using a composite connection, it shouldn't be that difficult to setup. I don't think there's any other way unless you get a RF modulator for your television that will convert the RCA signal for you.

Quote:
4. If everything above will work...will I still have volume control on my TV like normal or will I have to change it through the PC?
Only if your computer's volume is turned to the highest setting.

Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to do here? You aren't going to get a clear signal using the current method you have planned out. Composite alone isn't suitable for high definition video. You won't be able to read anything above 800x600, and even then it'll be difficult to read.
__________________

__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
In Runtime
 
AzNVi3t2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 155
Send a message via AIM to AzNVi3t2007
Default Re: PC to TV question

^^Nicely said sir, cant agree more.
AzNVi3t2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: PC to TV question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to do here? You aren't going to get a clear signal using the current method you have planned out. Composite alone isn't suitable for high definition video. You won't be able to read anything above 800x600, and even then it'll be difficult to read.
Indeed. Right now, I use my TV (32" CRT; til I upgrade ) to watch an occasional movie from my computer. I have the vid card that's in my spec and I use the s-video out and use the s-video->component out adapter to convert it to the "yellow" RCA cable and then I have that spliced into regular wire running to my TV and back into an RCA plug to go into my TV's input. First off, the quality is sub-par...burning to a dvd and then watching ALWAYS results in better quality. Second, if it's anything other than movies that I'm doing, because of the resolution, nothing is readable. So don't expect to be typing up Word documents. Movies & Gaming are about the only things that you can do.
__________________
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0