PC shuts down after 3 seconds then restarts and works fine???

jolliff87

Solid State Member
hey i have a HP Compaq DC5700 MicroTower:

recently when i booted pc up it randomly shut down after getting to the XP Logo windows and repeats if all time. which then i thought it was HDD so i bought one and then took it apart and cleaned it all deeply. and now it starts up as soon as i plug in the mains lead and shuts down after 3 seconds then restarts and works fine but cause i bought a new HDD i need 2 put a new OS on but thing is; the screen does not show anything so now i think its on-board as gone. waiting on that to come. bought new ram as well and still same. all fans work, light shows on mobo hdd works. i am just stuck . thanks MJ

Sounds to me that it is a CPU problem. If it is an older CPU, they tend to wear and tear after many years of use. It also may be that your system attracted a virus of some sort that damaged the CPU and inner components that cause sudden reboots. I'm not an expert on this, but to me, that sounds like it would be the problem.

after the first shutdown and restart it stay on fine but becauce i have no image on screen and no OS on HDD i cant see anything but runs smoothly, and stays on?

even if the mobo light is on and all fans work etc. how would i beable to check if its right because i dotn want 2 spen money on something taht might not be it ?

is there any way i can check if the mobo or PSu is dead. graphic card comes today so ill let you know anything else soon

Actually, I know that 3 second thing power on/off is common on branded PCs. Open up your PC, clean it if it's dusty while you're at it. Once it's done, or if it's already clean, reseat your RAM, and check that all power connections are in. Does the CPU fan spin at full speed or is it quiet?

Borrow a friends power supply and see if that works. Reseatting the RAM might also work. Check your keyboard to see if the num lock/scroll lock/cap lock lights flash on (as most computers will flash those lights during bootup). This should give you an idea of if the computer is booting and the display is the problem or if the computer isn't actually booting.

just got the GPU and that does not work either. got new HDD still nothing. got new RAM still nothing. cleaned it out put new thermal on etc. i dotn need 2 press power button to switch on. soon as the plug is in it boots up with all fans working and fan goes at full speed then goes quiet. then powers off. the coems on again and stays on but no screen. i know its not gpu as i bought a new one. i will try to borrow a PSU. keyboard and mouse all light up ill get back to you as soon as i have had any news thanks peeps

Back
Top Bottom