PC overhaul, is this ok?

james120479

Beta member
Hi there, i'm looking to overhaul my pc and transform it into a high-end gaming machine so looking at upgrading mobo, processor, HDD, memory and graphics card. I've been searching these boards trying to figure out the best i can buy for less than £500 and have come up with the list below. Is there an advantage to having 2 hard drives - one with operating system and one with everything else, it would be nice to incorporate my existing hard drive if i can.

My current PSU is:
1 x Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU - With 3x 12v Rails and 120mm Fan

I'm looking at buying the below:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 DHX Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12)
PowerColor HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
750GB Samsung HD753LJ SATAII HDD

Now i'm not sure what the best mobo would be and i know there are alot out there, i've been looking at:
Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
or ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP AiLifestyle Series P35 Socket 775 Socket eSATA 8 channel Audio

But i really don't know what i should be looking for or what would be best

Do you think the above looks ok or should i change something around? Also i'm assuming my PSU will be ok, what should i check to make sure it is?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
James

PSU should be fine, I'd get the P5Q if it were me due to it being pretty much the most recent chipset, the board is a mad overclocker too btw.

I'm not fussed on the cooler mounting system (push pins), I would prefer my Thermaltake Ultra 120 eXtreme tbh

Unless you're running a 64bit os 4GB of memory is overkill.

Good video card.

My $0.02

:)

Will you be overclocking. If not, I think you might be better off with the Phenom 9850 and a 790FX board. If yes:

The P5K doesn't have full CF support, so you can't add a second HD 4870 later, so my recommendation would be with the P5Q PRO.

Is the HDD a SpinPoint F1? If yes, that's a great buy, it's the fastest 7200RPM drive available.

I also think that the 4GB of RAM is worth it, just make sure you get a 64 bit OS. I ran 2GB for while whilst I was getting my overclock sorted out, and I noticed a difference in performance going from 2GB to 4GB again.

And get the Xigmatek HDT-S963 over the Freezer 7 PRO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233001

My €0.02

IDE ribbon cable = two plugs = two ide devices, simpler math :D

SATA optical drives are cheap as chips as well these days

Standard IDE cable ??

idecablehi1.jpg

Standard IDE cable ??

idecablehi1.jpg

unless it's a prebuilt, the 2 device ribbon cable is pretty much standard, actually, the only time I ever see 1 device ribbon cables are in prebuilts, probably to limit the number of devices because they don't want to overload those crappy 300w psus they have running the system...

unfortunately thats the only type of pcs that i have ever had
is prebuilt :(
well i do have a 600W PSU from my BB PC kit :D

and i love Radio Shack
i got an IDE cable
wish me luck
if nothing else
ill throw in that PSU

Back
Top Bottom