PC old, feeling lazy: Barebones?

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
Afternoon All

My PC is a little outdated (or it feels it), build Oct. 2010 :3

Too lazy and not enough time to build a whole new Rig, considering getting a barebones and filling it up because it's A) cheaper than buying a prebuild and B) easier than building from scratch. Plus im a little out of practice sicne I swapped to software from hardware in terms of career.

considering this:

Novatech Barebone Bundle - AMD Six Core FX-6100 - 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz - AMD 760G Motherboard - Novatech Gaming Tower Case & Novatech Powerstation 500W Modular PSU | BB-61004A

and sticking one of the new GTX or Radeon cards in and Windows 7 Pro.

what'ya think? Will I regret this? :angel:

It looks great for the price but not sure what mobo you have, I know it's a 760g chipset but not sure what motherboard is in it, that's my main thing, because some have no overclocking and low memory support but I think this will support 8gb, seems great tho for the price, only 250quid.. still rather build one from scratch , I think you'll get cheaper parts on ebay, but none the less if you have the cash spare might aswell go for it, like I said, for the price it's pretty decent.

I just sent an email to their sales team requesting the make and model of the mobo and the memory, hopefully It will be half decent and I can get underway making my mediocre skyrim/star wars workhorse xP

On a side note, I'm a bit out of date with my GPU knowledge; what are the sweetest examples of mid to high end GPUs?

Zambezi CPUs aren't really that much performant than they've epxected to begin with. If you can get your hand one one with a Phenom II X6 series, like the 1090t, then you'de be in better shape.
The FX series really aren't good for the moment. Maybe in a few later steppings, but even still. Only way to get them decent is to OC them.

If you can fork out £30 more, you can grab the i5-2320 barebone which outperforms them all, even the eight-core FX CPUs, except for 3D Modeling, where the FX-8120 is the top.
Novatech Barebone Bundle - Intel Core i5 2320 - 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz - Intel H61 Chipset Motherboard - Novatech Gaming Tower Case With 500w PSU | BB-23204A

If you have the money for a mid to high range GPU, I'd grab a GTX560 Ti 448, like this one:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...diagtx560ti448fermiseries/gv-n560448-13i.html

I got an email back from one of their reps who told me the mobo they use is one of Gigabyte's 760G 8GB RAM Max AM3+ boards, not that great, and the RAM is some no-name company that make it specifically for them ('Adata' ?) Slightly put off by that.

Anyone know where I can pick up some more enthusiast-end barebones for not-astronomical prices?

A 2010 build is too slow for you? Hmmmm, I have a late 2008 build that plays skyrim on mostly high settings. I am still holding off for now, because I haven't had time for any real gaming. For anything non-gaming, my lowly 2.4 ghz quadcore CPU and lowly Radeon 3870 is just fine for now. I still use Vista, lol.

PC spec:

AMD Phenom II X4 925 @ 2.8GHz (6MB L3)
4GB 1333MHz Crucial
Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB GDDR5
2x1TB WD Caviar Blue/Seagate Cuda

I just got Star wars the Old Republic and I can't seem to get any kind of balance of quality/performance that is satisfying enough. I can get it fairly smooth if I turn all the settings down (Bilinear filtering, Textures low, shadows low etc) but the gaming experience is just crap If i do that. Same story with Skyrim, 50-60FPS with settings on low, but gaming experience marred by crappy textures.

Oh come on, that's old? Do what aPanzerIV did. Heck, even a 965 or a 975 will do fine. You can go X6 even!

Pop in a more recent GPU and it'll go fine after. I would even bring up the RAM to 8GB, since it's so cheap these days.

It's not old old but it's got some problems here and there. One of the RAM slots on the mobo is broken so I'm limited to 4GB, the drives are beginning to die (intermittent 7B errors every now and then, occasional 3B error), the case is crap etc.

probably the only thing servicable on it is the processor :trash:

Back
Top Bottom