PC not detecting video card?

osokk

In Runtime
I just got a new video card nvidia geforce 7800gs AGP. when my pc boots up it doesnt even recognize it installed but just installs the generic graphics called SIS mirage graphics. I dont know what to do here i figured maybe the card wasnt getting enough power so i rearanged the cords but it still wont work. Also it seems like my monitor wont turn on if its hooked to the back of the card but if hooked to the back of the mobo it works. Now i have a older video card a ati 9800xt and i have no problems with it. I am very confused and dont know what to do plz help.

i would try to disable your onboard video in bios. there is a small chance that this is conflicting with your nvidia card.

celegorm said:
i would try to disable your onboard video in bios. there is a small chance that this is conflicting with your nvidia card.

how do i do that?

it varries by motherboard. Durring boot, you should see an option to press a button (usually Esc, F1, F2, or Delete) to enter setup. Disable on board video would be somewhere in here. As much as i would love to say "Its under this area in BIOS" it can varry and i don't want to lose you (any more than i already have).

celegorm said:
it varries by motherboard. Durring boot, you should see an option to press a button (usually Esc, F1, F2, or Delete) to enter setup. Disable on board video would be somewhere in here. As much as i would love to say "Its under this area in BIOS" it can varry and i don't want to lose you (any more than i already have).

ok ill try that and get back to u.

ok i cant find this is there a more high tech term to this onboard video. i did happen to find some onboard devices that i could desable but didnt touch em.

could be listed as "onboard VGA" or even integrated VGA or Inegrated Video. those are the only terms i've seen it listed under. if that doesn't cover it, then i don't know what to tell you.

yeah it's problem with the mobo using the integrated vid card.
If you can't find a way to disable it (there has to be an option in the bios, you just have to find it) you could search for something like "primary display" or something like that. And then change it from what ever it is to what ever the 9800xt is using, which would probably be apg. This causes the mobo to check if there is an agp device, and then use it if one is detected.

So give that a try.

mammikoura said:
yeah it's problem with the mobo using the integrated vid card.
If you can't find a way to disable it (there has to be an option in the bios, you just have to find it) you could search for something like "primary display" or something like that. And then change it from what ever it is to what ever the 9800xt is using, which would probably be apg. This causes the mobo to check if there is an agp device, and then use it if one is detected.

So give that a try.

Ok when i reboot my pc it has an option to hit delete to run setup. I then go there and it says CMOS setup utility. Is this the right thing? If not how do i get to BIOS?

Back
Top Bottom