PC - No picture on screen

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
The other day I made a post about upgrading my Dell 8300's motherboard. Before I do so, I just want to check that it is the motherboard that is broken. The symptoms are that when I plug the PC in, as soon as the plug is turned on, the PC turns itself on, I then get no picture on the screen, I can then turn it off using the power button on the front, but not on again with that button. If I remove all parts from the motherboard except the CPU, everything is exactly the same and it makes NO beeping noises to indicate that parts are missing. I have tried spare RAM and GPU with no change in result. I have also tried it on a different monitor, no different. Thanks for any help.

You plug the power supply cable into the wall outlet and the computer automatically starts up without having to press the start button? That to me would indicate a power supply problem.

In the BIOS of this machine, there used to be an option so that the PC would power up by iteslf when plugged in. If it is a PSU problem, why did it not beep at me. Also I do have another power supply I could use as a test, one problem though, this is a Dell system and they use non-standard parts. Standard PSU's physically fit this system, so I guess there is no hard im trying. When comparign a standard PSU to my dell one, all the wires are the same except for one wire, in the Dell its white, in the standard one ites yellow, would this cause a problem? Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I just tried a spare 650W power supply in it, it had exactly the same symptoms.

Have you tried removing the motherboard and booting it outside the case to eliminate anything that may be shorting?

I took the motherboard out of the case, but it is attatched to a metal tray which it cannot be removed from, as usual dell feels the need to make things harder! I'm not too bothered if the motherboard is broken, I have found a replacement which features a PCI-E port, I just don't want to spend the money then find that the mobo isn't the problem.

Back
Top Bottom