Pc help, (dont know where to post sorry)

jford04

Solid State Member
hi there, well first post and its a handful

ok well quick outline of my computer, it restarts and freezes for no reasson

in depth: ok well a few months ago it was doing the same thing ( restarting freezing) so i ran a ram test, turned out one of my chips was FK'd. it was fine for a while after i remvoed that chip. but now the problem is worse then ever. so what happens is, for no resson, playing a game or screensaver or watever, i hear a loud click and then it restarts. or just freezes. Ive run teh ram test again for 3 hours and not 1 error. another symtom is when i try TRY to turn on my comp the screen dosnt turn on and teh light on the tower flashes really fast...

so the symptoms are: freezing and restarting, when trying to turn it on again it keeps restarting in the boot up. and screen not turning on.

what ive tried to no avail: formating, ram test
what ive tried to avail: nothing
Help needed by: ASAP

so i really need help here guys, any peace of info is helpful so thanks in advance guys

Hey, Well first of all, welcome to the forums. You have posted in the right place :p

Right, well for me, it can be three things.

One, a power supply problem, or two, the hard drive, or both.

I've had it with both, and its done about the same thing. The power supply was faulty and was sending out leathel supply to the hard drive which conked it out and caused it to randomly restart, and completly messed up the hard drive after a while to a point it couldn't run, but was causing random restarts with clicks (the head of the hard drive going into rest position, whih might be sticking since it won't restart after restarting sometimes)

I've also had it with the hard drive causing it on a computer before this one.
The hard drive clicks when it restarts since the head is going back into position, so you can be sure its something to do with this. It then has a choice to freeze or restart to fix thr problem, and its done either on mine.

WHAT TO DO:

So it might be the power supply causing the hard drive to lose power, and then bring it back which makes it restart or freeze since the hard drive has stopped reading data, and so Windows doesn't know what to do, or it could be just the hard drive being the problem.

I'd , if I were you, buy a new power supply, and also a new hard drive, since i wouldn't take risks that you'd buy a new drive, and the power supply would either make it do the same thing, or could damage the hard drive after a while like it did on mine.

I'd then connect this hard drive and power supply up fast, put windows on the new drive, and then select the old drive as a SLAVE to that drive and backup everything on it quick taht you want to keep.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure it's either the hard drive or the power supply causing the problem. So its best just to change both.

When getting a power supply, i'd get a 450watt one. people on this forum might be able to help you with a good make. I'm not one of those people :p

I hope this helps :)

wow thanks heaps for the help man... i think my harddrive is realitivly new as is the power supply... :S i got it off my bro after i blew up my old hardrive and power supply.... its a maxtor 80gb my new harddrive, dont know what my power supply is.

but would the hardrive and power suply have somthing to do with the comnputer moniter not turning on, well turning on but no signal goin to it basicly. well my bro just said probley power supply, hes like somne IT manager hes really quite good at it but can never be stuffed helpin me :( well im on my old laptop now so i can still acces this page so its all good

ive backed up all my stuff because i just formated in the past month so thats fine.

oh just rememnbered, seems you braught up harddrive, when my computer was flooeded with shite before i formated, when i was using a lot of resorces the hardrive made a sort of ratteling noise for a few seconds then make a click and then go about its normal buiness, not restarting...

well ive made a mess of this post, if ya can understand it , hope it narrows down the possibilitys

well thanks cyas!

Yeah, like I said, it could be both.

That rattling doesnt sound good, but might have been it loading a load or something.

The more your talking about it though, the more it sounds like the power suppyl shorting out, which could cause more damages.

I'd swap that as soon as possible, like maybe you can borrow one. Test if it works any better then.

Remember, the power supply is the most important aspect of the computer, and if you get that wrong, or that goes, its dead basically.

I'd see about that first though. At least everythings backed up :)

But if it is the powersupply, and its doing that, your risking the entire computer, and not just the hard drive anymore.

hmm true..

well i tried booting up my comp again, coz im dieing for a game of cs :p and when its about to get into the OS the screen just gose black and the moniter kinda gose in the orange led type mode thing. just anohter bit of info.. but yeh i can pick up a power supply for 40 bux aud so ill do that hmmm maybe tomorro. i dont really care about uber leet computer, i just want the dam thing to work and run what i have, the most demanding thing i have is either UT2k4 or Battlefield 1942 so yeh, i dont really care about it running superduper gfx and all

Yeah, well hopefully the power supply will help.

I also suggest, just to test, you move the RAM to another slot on the motherboard just as a precaution.

You looking to getting a 450watt power supply abouts.

If that doesn't help, then your looking into a new hard drive i'm afraid :(

hmmm ill try the ram, maybe if my bro can get off his ass he might be able to have a look at it. other then that its a new power supply and possibly a new hard drive then :(

few more bits of info ive just noticed
on boot up, it takes a while to detect ide drives
and also when it is verifying dmi pool data it tkaes a while too
quite a while

In that case, forget what I said about the power supply. Its definietly your hard drive mate :(

yeh i managed to get a good deal, because the manager at plug and play is one of my karate students and hes getting me a 400w psu for 30bux normal price is 90 aud free hard drive replace ment and a free service
man i love mates rates

Back
Top Bottom