PC Hangs at shutdown

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
I have a problem with my other pc that is downstairs, sometimes it hangs at shutdown. Running XP.

I have done spyware and virus scans, as well as scanned the registry and fixed errors there. There is an error message that comes up occasionally that says there is a resource conflict with the 3rd pci slot, which is the modem. Could this be causing the hangs on shutdown?

What I mean by hangs on shutdown is that windows shuts down properly, but the pc doesn't shut off, the screen remains blank and you can't shut it down by holding the power button for 5 secs. The only way to do it is to shut it off at the surge protector via the switch. Then....it won't come back on right away, you have to shut it off and let it sit a while, then turn the surge protector back on and it will start again.

It's an HP Pavilion, Celeron 933, 256mb ram.

Any ideas and any help will be appreciated.....thanks

Tom

Raffaz said:
This sounds more like a powerdown problem then. Has this just started? Can ya pinpoint what ya were doing before it started? Have a look at this article aswell, scroll down to powerdown problems and work throught that
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
Thanks Raffaz, I'll take a look at that link and see what I can do.

Yeah, it's definitly a powerdown issue. Hasn't just started. It would do it intermittently for a while, but then after I reformatted and reinstalled XP on that computer, it didn't do it for a long time. Now it is again. I can't really pinpoint what happened before it started doing it since I don't use that pc. It's downstairs and the other people in the house use it.

Thanks for the help

Right, ya just said a key thing there mate, other people are using the computer. Have a chat with them and ask them what they have been doing with the computer, i think the problem lies with them, especially if they aint got much experience mate

Not quite yet, I'm going to have a look at it tonight and see what the problem is, I haven't had time over the weekend.

I took a look at that site you gave me Raffaz, I decided to try the "shutNTdown" registry patch to see if that does anything. I backed up and installed the registry patch and shut the pc down three times without problem. We'll see how it goes.

Tommy Boy said:
I took a look at that site you gave me Raffaz, I decided to try the "shutNTdown" registry patch to see if that does anything. I backed up and installed the registry patch and shut the pc down three times without problem. We'll see how it goes.

Excellent, im glad its sorted. . . .at least for now :)

Back
Top Bottom