PC freezes randomly Windows XP

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have a desktop that keeps locking up randomly. I asumed it was a heat problem but after checking the temps all seems ok apart from one which was constant 58-59 degrees.

I checked the RAM with mem test and done a couple of passes and all come back clear

Im running a hard drive check now from seatools however as the hard drive has recently been changed i dont think this is the cause.

I have run windows in safe mode and ran prime 95 and it still freezes. the only thing that is running is McAfee.

The chipset heatsink on the mobo seems very hot to the touch.

Im going to run something like linux on the system and see if it locks up. Im hoping this will dettermine if its a software/hard drive issue or if its a temp/other hardware issue.

It hasnt locked up whilst running memtest and seems to be running everything external of windows without a hitch.

Any comments would be great :)

Other than a hard drive change what other changes if any have you done recently.
With the new hard drive did you install the same software as old hard drive?

Hi "mmm". The hard drive in it i was told started to fail about a year ago. Data was recovered and a fresh install of xp was installed. Its not been used much from that date so i cant pinpoint a date this stated happening.

As i say i have stated in safe mode and it still freezes however the only thing that runs in safe mode is the antivirus McAfee. This might be the cause. Perhaps i should uninstall it and then restart in safe mode ?

I have looked in event log and cant see nothing majour, There was a few issues from McAfee about a service stopping and there was a lot of errors regarding the date and time of windows where it could not sync to the time server.

At the time it crashes nothing is logged to event log .

I'd start with the McAfee uninstall. See if that does anything. I doubt it will though. I'd be leaning towards some kind of hardware issue.

You could run a linux distro off the live cd and see if it locks up then (or do an install as you suggested). That would tell you right away if it's hardware or software.

Just to clarify, what do you mean by the hard drive in it? The current one, in your PC? or the one you replaced?

sorry, just to clarify the hard drive (original) died so a new one was put in about a year ago.

I am running in safe mode again looking at temps and got some readings

core 0 = 55c
temp 1 = 50c
cpu = 50c
temp = 60c

r9lo92.jpg

Just pulled out the CPU and heatsink and gave them a good clean out and reapplied thermal. temps are lower. lets wait and see if she crashes

Update : Crashed again after cleanout, hard drive test passed.

Now installed xp on another hard drive and seeing if it locks up using that. If so it must be PSU, RAM or HDD or mobo oh or CPU :)

Two hardware issues that can cause PC freeze is dodgy memory or video card.
I would pull the ram out and clean the contacts on ram and motherboard with some alcohol or electrical cleaner & reinsert them....
With the video card get the latest drivers but uninstall the old drivers first before putting on the latest....
If problems persist try using other memory ram or video card.
Try these steps.

Back
Top Bottom