pc fails to boot without ram adjustment

punkrockguy318

Beta member
Hello!
I'm working on a computer. It was working fine previously, but booted to a black screen. When I adjusted the RAM (take a stick out and put it back in), the PC would boot fine again. This is not the first time this has happened, and it has also happened many times in the past.

I'm currently running MemTest86 to test all the ram, but I'm pretty confident the ram is good because it's fairly new.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? I'll probably run a prime95 test on it to make sure everything is straight, but I don't really want to return this PC to its owner just to receive a phone call that it's not working again. I'd like to figure out exactly what the problem is instead of just continuing this workaround of displacing and place the ram.

Thanks!

If you have multiple sticks of RAM, just try booting with one of them. Whichever one does not boot is obviously the bad stick. Then find out what type and speed your ram is, and just buy a replacement stick.

I would do that, but it runs fine with both sticks in. However, it just won't boot sometimes until I take a RAM chip out, and then replace it.

I just ran about 3 hours of memtest86 on both sticks of ram and there don't seem to be any problems

Back
Top Bottom