PC-Card from Router or AP...

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
Assuming other wireless access points or routers are like this, would it be possible to use say the PC-Card out of my access point in a laptop? I was reading up on mine and read somewhere that it uses a PC card. I had to see this and sure enough, it appears to be a standard card with 2 antenna's on it(internal and external) I have pics to prove this!

I know I know...stupid quiestion, but it would be neat to try...probably have a much better reception with the duel antenna's than the single internal most PC-Cards have.

Oh, and what about upgrades. Do you think if I stuck an 802.11g in it's place(mine's just a B) that it would work faster, or would the firmware restrict it...

A laptop cannot take a PC card, laptop uses PCMCIA cards (Personal Computer Memory Card International Association), and it is not really the amount or type of antenna that matters but the router you use. There are even router boosters to boost the wireless signal.
G is certainly better than B, and the higher the frequency the better the signal.
But regarding your double antenna thing, you;'d have to give a product name. I use a ASUS WIFI PCI antenna on my wireless PC and there is an ~ 3 feet long link with a stand up antenna that is very mobile which I placed on top of the PC.

Back
Top Bottom