PC Busted

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey.
I have an old computer I'm trying to sell. At first it didn't have a hard-drive or DVD burner, because the hard-drive died and the burner was used for my new PC.

I decided to buy a SATA DVD burner so that I could put my pc's dvd burner (an IDE) into the one I'm selling, so that I could actually get it running again. I also found an old 80g HDD to use.

So, I finally got everything going - was installing XP. But, whenever it restarted, the monitor wouldn't receive a signal, and the CPU fan didn't move, but just had little bursts of energy every 2-3 seconds, with the fan just rotating a bit and then falling back again. The first restart or two I managed to get it working again, not sure how, just tried turning it off and back on again, etc. But now it won't work at all.

Any ideas? Thankyou.
-Rhys
PS: When I turn the PC on, the fan spins properly for about 1 second, and then stops as soon as the monitor would usually start receiving a signal.

EDIT1: I got it working again (took out mobo's main power plug and put it back in again, switched power off at back of psu and switched it back on again, turned it back on), but when it gets to the part of XP where there is just a cursor, nothing happens. I also found that I couldn't move the mouse, so either my mouse is screwed or it locked up. When I rebooted, i came back to my original problem of the monitor not receiving signal, cpu fan twitching, etc.

EDIT2: Ok, what the freak? The computer works when its ON ITS SIDE. Something must be earthing and causing something to go poo? I'll have to investigate.

Back
Top Bottom