PC blue screening

Kage

Golden Master
Yesterday my computer started blue screening randomly; 7 times in total over the course of the day.

2 of them were while backing up, which took me well into this morning, but everything is finally backed up now.

Its running fine at the moment, but will just suddenly fall, with either a blue screen or a hard restart; each time causing my RAID 1 config to have to verify over and over again, which takes like 2 hours each time.

Firefox has crashed a couple of times today as well, which hasn't happened EVER, with a message to restart Firefox because of an error.
Earlier, BBC Iplayer wouldn't start up, and then it suddenly started to.

There not the usual error messages either.
I'm getting ones I've not heard of like:

'A thread tried to release a resource it did not own.'

I thought for a minute, it was what used to happen with my computer, and it was because of the RAM being at the wrong voltage, but it wasn't the case this time, and they don't seem to relate to the usual RAM blue screens, like IRQ Less or not equal.

We recently had a power cut, so I'm starting to think the worst, as it started to happen a few days after we had it.

So I have no idea what part is going...

This isn't fun considering I was going to build a computer for someone, and with that money; I will now have to fix my own

It might not be the problem but have you run Memtest just to eliminate the RAM?

Also which RAID hardware are you using? The Intel® ICH9R or JMicron® JMB363?

Its using the Intel ICH9R, yeah

I've took one stick out today, and it hasn't blue screened so far, but it was very random yesterday too; happening out of the blue (haha...)
But I have had program crashes today.

I'll have to run one stick at a time I think, but I'm so annoyed also, because my computer is the only one that ever gets problems.
My family treat the other one like crap, and yet, that one is fine

My build has suffered from one power supply dying, and 2 hard drives going, which were the result of the power supply going, and now we've had a power cut, and somethings failing again...

Knock it around 'a bit' (excuse the pun!) it'll be fine then! :p

Ok. Are you running the latest chipset drivers? Specifically the Intel RAID controller driver? It wouldn't hurt re-installing the RAID driver as the power cut may have bugged a driver giving you random blue screens.

Thanks, that is a very long list...

I always get confused when it comes to corruption in that sense. Doesn't that mean the hard drives been damaged in some way?

What is the best RAID to use? To be honest, the Intel's the first one I heard about, so went for it.

Thanks, that is a very long list...

I always get confused when it comes to corruption in that sense. Doesn't that mean the hard drives been damaged in some way?

What is the best RAID to use? To be honest, the Intel's the first one I heard about, so went for it.

It is but start with the Accelerated RAID driver first. The hard drives should be fine, RAID 1. It just means that the array would rebuild in the background. But if the RAID driver is bugged then.... blue screen.

Also the onboard Intel RAID hardware is great. I've had no problems using it in the past.

You gotta try everything before writing off your hardware.

Thanks Remeniz for the help :)

I ran Ram Probe for two tests on each module, and found the culprit. It went about the same time each time, so I'm now running with 2GB's, instead of 3, but so far so good.

I may have to get myself a UPS

Thanks Remeniz for the help :)

I ran Ram Probe for two tests on each module, and found the culprit. It went about the same time each time, so I'm now running with 2GB's, instead of 3, but so far so good.

I may have to get myself a UPS

No worries.

I was thinking last night about your query... :eek:

Have you had your electricity supply looked at? All the faults you've had may be down to a spiky supply.

Our electricity supply I guess is rather old. It hasn't been re-wired since the house was built...

We do have our fair share of electronics simply dying though (but that tends to be normal), and most run off surge protectors.

The computers running off a surge as well... :(

But yeah, it was definitely that module. Since taking it out; I haven't had a single issue

Glad you got it sorted.

Go for a UPS like you said and it will at least ensure a stable supply to your rig.

:)

Back
Top Bottom