PC Automatically SHUTSDOWN! please help

eesotereh

In Runtime
well, i took alot of different forums advice on building a comp..and..well, i did it okay it seems except for one thing. the damn thing shuts off automatically. i checked cpu temp and it said 100 degrees C. lol this cant be right! the cpu heat sink/fan i believe is on right. its an intel fan/heat sink that came with the e6400 core two duo. its weird actually cause its like the fan doesnt really click in right. or each one clicks ok and then another will come out a little. i dont like it thus far. anyway, before i finally turned it on for the first time tonite, i made sure the fan/heat sink was in securely and it was. it didnt rock or move or anything.

please help! i dont know what else it could be

mobo: d946GZis

ram: corsair 1gb ddr2 533mghz value ram x 2

power: 430 watts.

no PCI devices installed yet.

one IDE ATA drive, one SATA drive.

no O/S yet.

i was hanging out in the bios when suddenly it shut off. it seems to stay on for about 10 minutes and then, poof.

Do you have as many fans as possible in the case? i used to have to point a big fan at my case until I filled it up with as many fans as there were spots for fans.

well, I have two fans for now. but i dont think that it should be reading awt 100 degrees! right?? nor shutting down after 10 minutes...theres something inherently not right here. there was no indication to use thermal paste in any of the parts manuals including the cpu. could that be the problem? should that always be used?

yea of course. its plugged in. its secure and fastened. doesnt move or rock. and the fan works. i left the cover off so i can make sure everything is working when i turned it on

it's definately the cpu overheating man, don't burn out that sweet cpu. get some arctic silver 5 and make sure that heatsink is on correctly, and like charchris said that the fan is plugged in. try this, leave the side panel open so you can see the fan and heatsink when you turn it on, make sure the fan starts spinning. On my friends rig, the heatsink went on one way only because it would hit some trasistors on one side which you couldn't easily see and it clamped down and everything so he thought it was on right but it had the same problems as you.

EDIT: lol you beat me to it, but still, read what i said

i'll try and reseat it again. but im gona just use the stock thermal paste for now. that should be ok. besides, if it was a thermal paste problem, it wouldnt be THIS quick to shoot up tp 100 degrees. heat sink seating right be the problem? sure. that would make more sense to me. so im gona try and reseat. thanks. if anybody thinks of anything else, please, let me know

hey I think I got it!

the process temp is now at 36 C
Internal temp 24 C
Remote Temp 29 C

its a seating issue! The damn Intel heat sink... in my opinion, a terrible implementation. no dig at its functionality as a heat sink, but its seating design is an awful flaw.

P.S ill report back. i dont want to speak to soon. im gona monitor it and see if it goes up again and/or shuts off.

somsto75 said:
i'll try and reseat it again. but im gona just use the stock thermal paste for now. that should be ok. besides, if it was a thermal paste problem, it wouldnt be THIS quick to shoot up tp 100 degrees. heat sink seating right be the problem? sure. that would make more sense to me. so im gona try and reseat. thanks. if anybody thinks of anything else, please, let me know

if it was a problem with the thermal paste it could easily shoot up that fast. small bubbles in the paste between the mating surfaces can cause heat to get trapped in. the processor heats up VERY quickely, if you dont' have a heatsink on it could hit 100C a second or 2 after turning it on. keep an eye on your temps, i would recommend some actic silver and replacing the paste that came on the processor has been removed and put back on.

Back
Top Bottom