password protect files????

Dio10801

Solid State Member
How do you password protect files on Windows XP home. If there is no way, is there any good programs out there. I googled it but want to make sure windows doesn't have a way first?

yeah windows has it built it but the only way i know how to do it is.

say u have 3 files in my documents u would like to password protect.

right click a blank space in my documents
click new then compressed folder
go back to my documents
and high the 3 files u would like to password protect
drag them into the new compressed folder

open the compressed folder
click file in the top left
click add password
and put your password in there
and in the confirm box and hit ok

hope that helps

there are more ways to password protect your files
for instance :

office 2007 has password protection built in ..... not sure bout 2003 ?
3rd part software can also do it the 1 i use is power ISO its not really ment for that purpose i have it as an image software but works great to protect files ?

hope i helped if you need anything else post here again ;)

How do you password protect files on Windows XP home. If there is no way, is there any good programs out there. I googled it but want to make sure windows doesn't have a way first?

I recommended using third party utility's.

To get proper file protection, you need AES 256 Encryption with a 25 digit or longer password. The program I use to encrypt files is some open source software called "TrueCrypt"

there are more ways to password protect your files
for instance :

office 2007 has password protection built in ..... not sure bout 2003 ?

03 does and so does 2k, Office has had P/W protection for quite a while, although i dont know anyone that uses it

A good program is 7zip that lets you password protect stuff it also compresses the files as well.

What kinda encryption is 7zip?

I don't know myself, my Friend who emigrated to Newzealand swears by the program, when he went he used that to put all his stuff on a DVD then put it in his car stereo that was locked in the container ship.

Back
Top Bottom