Partitions

dangerousbeme

In Runtime
Im thinking about installing linux on my computer because my friend has been pushing for me to try it and i thought id give it a chance. However, id rather create a new harddrive partition to install linux on so i dont have to go through uninstalling/reinstalling windows and such. I thought i coudl create a new partitions using the system recovery disc that came with my computer, but ive been informed by tech support that I would have to lose all my data on my current partition to creat a new one. I know there are programs that wil allow you to make a partition without losing data, but i dont really feel like paying $50+ for one like Partition Magic when im really just tryiong sumthing out. Does anyone know of any ways so make a new partition without deleting my current one/losing data, or know of any good programs that are free or at the least offer a free trial?

I don't know of any i'm afraid. The only one i know of is Partition Magic, and that does seem rather kewl for what it does, and doesn't really cost that much.

There is no way of doing it though that i know of without using a program like this though.

Usually, without one, you would have to do a full format before doing this since when you set up windows on the drive, the whole partition will be used, and the setup isn't as complex as to say "so you want some of this GB back for a new one?"

If you want to try Linux as well as partitioning, download Knoppix LiveCD, its a compact Linux that runs directly off the CD so you can see what Linux is like, if you like the GUI and all that, then you can start off to go to the partitioning section
Whats so handy about Knoppix is that it has lots of point to point applications to fix up or change your system, to partition, all you need to do is go to 'Run' and type in 'qtparted', that is the partition manager for Knoppix
From there you can change all your partition settings, you can resize, format, create and a whole lot more, many of the features are in Partition Magic, but unlike me or you, i don't appreciate paying for something that should be relatively simple
Anyways, before you try Qtparted to partition, you should do disk check or else there will be cluster errors in the partitioning process, just type in 'chkdsk /f' in command prompt and then restart for it to start
By the way, Knoppix is abit RAM hungry so it may take a while for the partitioning process to finish

Generally speaking I use Disc Director Suite for this purpose. Although it isn't free it has some extra features I like (such as partition recovery for example).
If you want freeware program that partitions hard disks I heard about Ranish Partition Manager
http://www.ranish.com/part/
But personally I've never used it.

download Knoppix 3.9 if you have broadband. Then you get used to it while you GET books, tutorials or whatever you want to educate yourself with. You can download it and burn it to a CD that you can boot from and it will reside in RAM for as long you want to use it. You do not have to installit if you do notwant to. Just make sure you have some software that will burn an ISO image.

Sorry, I should have read the other post before I posted my suggestion. There is winlinux and some other non-install version you can run from floppy or Hd as well as CD.

Back
Top Bottom