Partitions

Weezix

Solid State Member
Hi
On my second HDD, of size 80gb I have partitioned it into 2 40gb drives. What would be the best way to remove this partition? Preferably from within windows xp, which is on my primary HDD.
Thanks, Del

I dont know but this is how i would do it, If you dont want the data just re-format the disk, If not put it all on a mates hard disk, Re-format and then get your files back. I hope that this helps you,

Steven

The only way I can think of doing it within windows is using a program called Partition Magic I've heard about. This makes it very easy to modify/delete partitions. Its not free though, but is the easiest option.
Other than doing that, you'd have to put the Windows CD in at bootup and remove the partition there but also you'd have to remove the first partition to make it have full size adn so reformat the drive compeltly basically

I'm afraid thats the only two ways I know how. Partition Magic is worthwhile though, trust me

Hope this helps

EDIT: You beat meeeee :p

I know how to format a disk, but when I went into command prompt and typed format etc it only appeared to be formatting that part of the partition.....

Yeah it would only format the one because to the drive they are two seperate discs. You'll have to do it using the Windows installation disc at bootup, modifiying the partitions when it asks using the commands to delete the partition and then it'd format the drive with one 80GB partition again.

Partition Magic even though it costs money is worthwhile to anyone who wants to re-arrange partitions alot though, and could be worth considering. It would at least mean you wouldn't have to keep formatting anyone reading this! :p

Hehe plus when i partitioned this drive, I made 4 on the 120gb drive for each of us using the PC. I gave my dad only 2 gig though :p and he wants more now even though he has his laptop, and I just said tough...

partition magic is the way here its easy to use but make sure you have a ps2 keyboard and mouse plugged in as it will not detect usb.great program use this myself along with hyperos to switch from c:\ to e:\.
if you use this program the vey first thig to do is click preferences and put a tick in the drivers it list otherwise it will check all drive for faults and it take hours.if you need this let me know ill make a copy and send it to you if you require.

pq majic will show all your partitions and you will be able to format them individualy as much as you like you can make them active primary logical anything you can even slit them up into as many partitions as you like

command prompt will only format what you tell it and you canot tell it to format and merge partitions im afraid. the only way i think is a dos based program like pq magic it sounds scary but believe me its not or i wouldnt be using it and i use it often. just pop in the disk reboot and away you go it will not make any changes unless you click apply so if your unhappy just exit.

Back
Top Bottom