Is Partitioning Worth it?

Is Partitioning a 160 GB Hard Drivve worth it? I do I have it split into 5 Partitions using Partition Magic But I mean if you do get a virus its probably always gonna be on the partition with your OS on it so what do you do then?Can you boot from another drive? No becuase you wouldnt have your OS.........So Confusing I never saw the big deal about partitiong but the guy who fixed my computer told me to partition......my computer specs are in my signature.

Partitioning is definitely worth it. Just as you said, if you get a virus and it wipes the drive that u have ur OS on, so u have to reinstall ur OS. Now if you have all ur files on that same drive u will lose all ur imp documents. BUT, if you partition, keep all ur files on a separate drive, then u wont lose anything when u reinstall the OS. Thats what i do, i have 160gb hard (2 hdd's), 3 OS's on 3 separate drives, program files on separate drives (for my most used OS, the other 2 are backups) and all files/games/downloads/movies on 4 separate drives. Wheneveri feel like i need a clean reinstall (once a year or so) i can do it freely without ever feeling like i am going to lose any imp info.

Thats very true and if you put something into a partition that doesnt have the OS then you can fix it easily. (rite dan)

Right, partitioning is great, very good idea. I do it, most advanced users do, it is much safer to do, and easier to backup important documents. I completely agree with d_source and djvbond. GO Partitioning!!

Well partyiotioning is fine, but I like MY HDD to function, as one all powerful state ready to make a deap strick into enemy treirritory at anytime.
I call it force con delta. AMD ZEN met your maker.
aka ZENny bojangles I am your FATHER

also if you have a big hard drive you may get a message at bootup saying NTLDR's are missing meanign the bios cant read the partition due to its big size IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

Computergen said:
also if you have a big hard drive you may get a message at bootup saying NTLDR's are missing meanign the bios cant read the partition due to its big size IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

whoa....I get that sometimes....can you explain this further? IM me or something....my IM's are listed

Partition is good up to a certain level. First you should consider a small partition of ~ 5 Gig just for your swapfile and nothing else. Then I would make the least amound of partitions; 2 to separate your operating system from your data is find. But five is too much if you only have one operating system because partitioning actually slows down your system.
Unless your system performance is not an issue for you, make as many partitions as you want.

Back
Top Bottom